Re: MF (6x6,6x7,6x9,6x12) B&W film images sharing

Pentax 67, 35mm Fisheye, Tri-X 400, SPUR HRX:

Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

pentax 6x7, 105mm, rollei 80s

Quote Originally Posted by lbenac View Post
    I do not thing that there is a thread for images for B&W film MF images only.
    I use a Kodak Medalist II as my backup/handheld camera when traveling and I am sure that many of us also use a small MF film camera as a backup.
    Some are also using a digital one and there are plenty of such images in the "Safe Heaven for Tiny Format" thread.
    I personally enjoy more browsing B&W film images in the limited time I have for such so I am selfishly checking if others are so inclined by starting this thread.

If this is a problem, I am sure the Moderators can close the thread and if there is no interest then the thread will die a natural death by starvation, in either case with no harm, no foul done.

Cheers,

Luc
    already a massive thread for non LF images.

Quote Originally Posted by austin granger View Post
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/skVMuk]Church, Beatty, Nevada by austin granger, on Flickr
    The signs says, "He Is Risen", but the church looks like it's sinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Scott - you are not alone, but I find your images very imaginative. I know what works for me - put them in a drawer and come back in a few weeks or month, pull them out and see how you feel then...or, just send the prints you don't like to me, but for gods sake, don't tear them up. And forget 100% satisfaction. Shoot for 75%.
    Ah, the creative process. Glad that I'm not the only one unsatisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Quan View Post
    I think this is particularly well seen.

But I presume you are asking if I hate everything I shoot.

No, but I am very critical of myself and I do like taking more control over the lighting as opposed to 100% strictly found light all the time. I found a video that may be relevant:

and here are some great lighting pdf's
    Thank you Dan. I know that I am likely my own worst critic. The voices are sometimes deafening, but as long as they are not debilitating I will listen to their intuition and carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by austin granger View Post
    I think everything I shoot is the greatest thing ever. At least for a little while. And then I hate it. But that next photo, man, the one I haven't made yet, I'm telling you, that's going to be the one! :-) Seriously, I really like those Tim, especially those first two, which, I must say, show a pretty unique perspective. Definitely carry on!
    Austin,

Thank you for the feedback. I'm a bit of the opposite. I despised most every image I make at first and it takes me a bit to see through the haze of perfectionism. Some peoploe asked me on Facebook what I thought was wrong with these images. This was my reply: "nothing is really wrong with these images. I liked them enough to share but I don't have a super strong attachment to them at the moment. Maybe that will change with time. My favourite two of these are the ones with the cross/stained glass and the bench. To me they both incite the best emotion and have a depth of experience.

What I mean by that is that I am hoping that the viewer will take the time to look closer and see things that they missed upon first glance and then feel a sense of satisfaction for looking deeper. To me that is the difference between a "postcard" shot and a true expression of "seeing". I want the viewer to see these as I did. Each one of my "successful" photographs was a moment in life that stopped me and made me pay attention and then to think about something specific in relation to what I was seeing.

This is my journey, to train myself to be able to see these moments and then successfully capture them in a single image that allows each person to take their own journey through my eyes.

The two images of Trafalgar Square on the other hand are just nice, graphic photographs. They don't make me think, explore or ponder. This doesn't make them bad photographs, it just doesn't go quite as deep as I hope to see."

Again, thank you for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottPhotoCo View Post
    Thank you Dan. I know that I am likely my own worst critic. The voices are sometimes deafening, but as long as they are not debilitating I will listen to their intuition and carry on.
    I am encouraged every time I watch that video. I have just started shooting 120 again and have done poorly with my first 2 rolls. The fist seemed to have good density and sharpness but the scans looked soft and contrasty. The second roll I managed to tear at some point around neg #2. I feel like I am learning photography all over again. I am encouraged every time I watch that video.
    “Life is short. Break the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that made you smile!”
    ― Robert Doisneau”

I know this is a BORING image but so far it's the best scan I have managed and this is the 2nd and torn roll; P67 with Xenar 150 @ ƒ5.6 Pan F+ in DDX. Just plain overcast lighting, outdoors just barely under the back porch with a light blue mottled BG and a flat flat scan. This has a simple curves layer and a selective color layer only but is sharpened. Now that I think I have a better understanding of what settings the scanner likes I can start working on my lighting ratios and light quality for careful contrast and added interest, then comes the "creativity" if I can muster it; I am eternally hopeful.

“Life is short. Break the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that made you smile!”
    ― Robert Doisneau”