Page 633 of 640 FirstFirst ... 133533583623631632633634635 ... LastLast
Results 6,321 to 6,330 of 6394

Thread: MF (6x4.5,6x6,6x7,6x9,6x12) B&W film images sharing

Re: MF (6x4.5,6x6,6x7,6x9,6x12) B&W film images sharing

Hi!

Romanic church in Sepúlveda, Segovia - Spain.

Cruz by Antonio Gimeno, on Flickr

Iglesia de El Salvador
    Hasselblad 503cx : CZ Planar 80/2.8 CF
    Rollei Retro 400s : HC-110(h)

Kind regards,
    Antonio

Tired Hitachi by tuco, on Flickr

500C/M, CB 60mm, 100 Acros

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    The answer to that question is less than straightforward, but here goes....

First, and most importantly, is simply knowing what I want the finished image to look like. I want these dark brooding tones, and lot of detail to explore, and that informs me how to accomplish this technically.

So technically, I know I must use a tripod so I can make multi-second exposures The flat lighting demands it) and get small apertures. I always choose one of the modern emulsions for this work, favoring Ilford Delta but Tmax films are just as capable. (I avoid HP5 these days, as I find it far too flat in the upper values for what I do. Its great for portraiture and some other things, but I dislike it for this work I do).
    My developer of choice these days is Pyrocat HD, as it seems to deliver the best tonal separation and renders the overall value scale beautifully. For this, I expose at 125 to 160 ASA, to get good density with Pyrocat (You always have to lower the film speed quite a bit with Pyro developers).
    Next, the negative is selected (I bracket) and scanned with my V750, and post-processed in Silver Efex Pro 2, to get values and image color as I want it.

Questions?
    Very nice. Does Silver Efex 2 have a preset for these tones or do you adjust something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Very nice. Does Silver Efex 2 have a preset for these tones or do you adjust something else?
    Thanks, Alan, glad you like this work. Silver Efex has the ability for the user to create their own presets based on tonal adjustments, contrast choices, etc. I have a couple dozen presets of my own that I've created for specific projects and/or specific films or plate types. IE: there are a couple of presets for FP4 developed in Xtol, presets for Delta 100 developed in Pyrocat HD, etc. I start with one of those presets and then (usually) make other minor adjustments for shadow detail, overall brightness - that sort of thing. I find Silver Efex to be a remarkably versatile tool, if working with digital edits of film negatives is something you find fits in your creative tool kit. I use these tools with the goal of creating inkjet prints that mimic how I print in the darkroom. I prefer silver gelatin prints (on Fomatone Classic, which comes close to Agfa Portriga Rapid!) but I don't always want to limit myself to making contact prints of my large negatives: some of these images work better in larger sizes, to reveal the richness of detail.

Checking the lens wide open on my new to me early 1950s Fujica folder. The portability of this camera, combined with great rangefinder and very good lens are exactly what I was looking for.

This image at f3.5 is, to me, decent.

Roots of Ginnindera island
    by J P, on Flickr
    Horseman L45 Mamiya Press Olympus OM2n 35RC Pen EE2 Canon EOS 1N

Home develop, scan, print and sometimes enlarge

Flickr Jahn Pahwa

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    Thanks, Alan, glad you like this work. Silver Efex has the ability for the user to create their own presets based on tonal adjustments, contrast choices, etc. I have a couple dozen presets of my own that I've created for specific projects and/or specific films or plate types. IE: there are a couple of presets for FP4 developed in Xtol, presets for Delta 100 developed in Pyrocat HD, etc. I start with one of those presets and then (usually) make other minor adjustments for shadow detail, overall brightness - that sort of thing. I find Silver Efex to be a remarkably versatile tool, if working with digital edits of film negatives is something you find fits in your creative tool kit. I use these tools with the goal of creating inkjet prints that mimic how I print in the darkroom. I prefer silver gelatin prints (on Fomatone Classic, which comes close to Agfa Portriga Rapid!) but I don't always want to limit myself to making contact prints of my large negatives: some of these images work better in larger sizes, to reveal the richness of detail.
    I'd love to see your larger prints, I bet they're spectacular.

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post

Tired Hitachi by tuco, on Flickr

500C/M, CB 60mm, 100 Acros
    That's awesome. Great atmosphere, and the forms make it look like one giant, connected beast.

Here's another tired beast:
    Portland by Austin Granger, on Flickr

I had to defrost the film freezer, and in the bottom where the powdered chemicals live, I found my stock of Diafine and Acufine. It will be hard to see so much of it in one place at one time since it has become impossible to find!

500c/m, Planar 80, small ext. tube, HP5+ @640, Diafine, Nikon 9000 scan:

Quote Originally Posted by austin granger View Post
    That's awesome. Great atmosphere, and the forms make it look like one giant, connected beast.
    Thanks. Perhaps I should have mentioned that I used a NDX400 filter as well.

Quote Originally Posted by chrism View Post
    I had to defrost the film freezer, and in the bottom where the powdered chemicals live, I found my stock of Diafine and Acufine. It will be hard to see so much of it in one place at one time since it has become impossible to find!
    What a stash!