Page 829 of 843 FirstFirst ... 329729779819827828829830831839 ... LastLast
Results 8,281 to 8,290 of 8426

Thread: MF (6x4.5,6x6,6x7,6x9,6x12) B&W film images sharing

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: MF (6x4.5,6x6,6x7,6x9,6x12) B&W film images sharing

This an image of the coast line as seen from the Gulf of Penas in southern Chile (Patagonia). It’s one of my favorite images which I published in the Color Landscapes gallery on my website. Just a few days ago I happened on the David Grann book The Wager: A Tale of Shipwreck, Mutiny and Murder which was made into a movie starring Leonardo DiCaprio and to be released soon - probably later this year so not to interfere with the academy award potential of Killers of the Flower Moon. The Wager is a thrilling tale of the sea which I am going to purchase because all copies in all local libraries have extensive holds. Wager island is located on the southern end of the gulf not shown here and to the far right in the image. There is a high probability that I photographed it, though, as I had positioned myself on top deck with a Pentax 67II mounted on tripod along with a Pentax K1000 during all daylight hours looking for images and had plenty of film to shoot. At the time I had no knowledge of the Wager incident nor a map of the landscape I was sailing through.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chilean_Coast.224201609_large.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	247262
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails navimag-ferry-on-open-sea-golfo-de-penas-region-de-aysen-chile-M0JTG1.jpg  

Mohammad Reza Alvandi ALVANDI Camera's Avatar

Iran, Hasselblad 500 C/M, Carl Zeiss Planar 80/2.8 CF, Hoya red filter, Ilford FP4 120 roll film

Darabad-020

Mohammad Reza Alvandi ALVANDI Camera's Avatar

Iran, Hasselblad 500 C/M, Carl Zeiss Planar 80/2.8 CF, Hoya red filter, Ilford FP4 120 roll film

Lavizan-034

Quote Originally Posted by djdister View Post
    If I were to guess, I'd say that the stores closeby that sell locks will take it down, recycle it and put up a fresh fence for more locks...
    Good thought though I bet it'll be the city itself profiting
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

John Olsen

Not the largest courthouse in Iowa, but maybe the most ornate. (Winterset, IA) I really should use view camera movements for this, but photoshopped the perspective as a quick fix. 500c/m, 60mm, TriX.

[IMG]Courthouse R4N8 cropped LFF by John Olsen, on Flickr[/IMG]

Winterset, Iowa is the birthplace of John Wayne and home of "Bridges of Madison County", the movie. Many covered bridges to check out and photograph. John Wayne home is a good visit.

Nice town with a lot of interesting barns in the area.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

John Olsen

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Winterset, Iowa is the birthplace of John Wayne and home of "Bridges of Madison County", the movie. Many covered bridges to check out and photograph. John Wayne home is a good visit.

Nice town with a lot of interesting barns in the area.
    Yer darn tootin'. Thinking about our favorite he-man hero I noted that right there on John Wayne Drive across from the courthouse, the Iowa Theater is now showing "Brokeback Mountain." Released in 2005, it took awhile to get to Winterset, I guess.

[IMG]Theater R4N9 crop LFF by John Olsen, on Flickr[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by John Olsen View Post
    Thinking about our favorite he-man hero
    What was John Wayne doing 1941-1945? Same question for James Stewart.

Rolleiflex SL66, S-Planar 120mm @ ƒ16
    Kentmere 400 HC110

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard_L View Post
    What was John Wayne doing 1941-1945? Same question for James Stewart.
    Wayne never enlisted and even filed for a 3-A draft deferment, which meant that if the sole provider for a family of four were drafted, it would cause his family undue hardship.

At one point during the war, the need for more men in uniform caused the U.S. military brass to change Wayne’s draft status to 1-A, fit for duty. But Hollywood studios intervened on his behalf, arguing that the actor’s star power was a boon for wartime propaganda and the morale of the troops. He was given a special 2-A status, which back then meant he was deferred in “support of national interest.”

He supposedly had a long time affair with Marlene Deitrich at the time. Marlene Dietrich would do her part, smuggling Jewish people out of Europe, entertaining troops on the front lines (she crossed into Germany alongside Gen. George S. Patton) and maybe even being an operative for the Office of Strategic Services.

The decision not to serve or to avoid it entirely (depending on how you look at the actor) haunted Wayne for the rest of his life. His third wife, Pilar Wayne, says he became a “super-patriot for the rest of his life trying to atone for staying at home.”

------------------

Jimmy Stewart was initially ineligible for the draft due to not weighing enough for his height. He supposedly drank beer to gain weight until he qualified.
    Despite having a degree from Princeton and hundreds of hours behind the stick of an aircraft, Stewart was so ready to serve in World War II, he enlisted as a private before the United States entered the war.

Stewart was the first Hollywood actor to join. It was the start of a 27-year career in the Army and then the Air Force. When a producer asked him why he would give up his screen career for the military, he said: "This country's conscience is bigger than all the studios in Hollywood put together, and the time will come when we'll have to fight."

At first, Stewart was relegated to doing newsreels and public relations stunts in the Motion Picture Division, but at 33, he was too old for aviation cadet training. He applied for an Air Corps commission based on his education and flight experience and was promoted to 2nd lieutenant in 1942. Still, he demanded to fight in the war.

After a year training new pilots in New Mexico, he finally was sent overseas to fly B-24 Liberator bombers over Nazi-occupied Europe. At a time when air crews were expected to be killed between eight and 12 missions, Stewart had flown 20.

----------------------

Then we have actors like Lee Marvin, Marine scout sniper. Many Island hopping invasions before being wounded on Saipan and spending 18 months in recovery.

Charles Buchinsky, who later changed his name to Charles Bronson to avoid sounding "red" during the McCarthy witch hunts for commies. Buchinsky enlisted in the U.S. Army Air Forces in 1943, serving as an aircraft gunner in the 760th Flexible Gunnery Training Squadron. In 1945, he became a Superfortress crewman with the 39th Bombardment Group, based on Guam, and was assigned to a B-29 bomber, flying on 25 missions. He eventually was awarded a Purple Heart for wounds received during his service and left the military in 1946.

Many who were at the time and later became entertainers, from Jimmy Hendrix, Tom Selleck, Betty White, Bob Barker, Morgan Freeman, Tony Bennett, Clint Eastwood, Johnny Cash, Ice-T, Elvis Presly, Humphrey Bogart to Chuck Norris. Not to mention professional athletes from Ted Williams, Yogi Berra, David Robinson, Jackie Robinson, Joe Dimaggio, Willie Mays to Rocky Marciano.

Will end here so we don't veer off into politics and/or personal attacks on draft dodgers or dirtbags like Hanoi Jane.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.