Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you deal with snow / inclement weather?

Re: How do you deal with snow / inclement weather?

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Your van can climb mountains?
    Sure. Yours won't?

A couple electric stabilizer legs can be handy if the wind is blowing.

I am not quite ready to try Goddard Divide. But there is absolutely gorgeous country all over the West that is amazingly accessible via public access. Unlike my experiences in the East where everything seems to be blocked off by private land.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

How do you deal with snow / inclement weather?

Quote Originally Posted by AuditorOne View Post
    Sure. Yours won't?

A couple electric stabilizer legs can be handy if the wind is blowing.

I am not quite ready to try Goddard Divide. But there is absolutely gorgeous country all over the West that is amazingly accessible via public access. Unlike my experiences in the East where everything seems to be blocked off by private land.
    True, East has a lot of... Private property...

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Haha I may be from CT but I'm only half flatlander...
    I am originally from Rhode Island, lived in Connecticut. My father and I hiked all over New England in the Fifties. Mount Frissell and Bear Mountain were regular get-aways. But now after having lived all over the county (and France and England) I stick to West of the Mississippi. Your conversation has me itching to hit the road again. As soon as my new truck is broken-in I'm heading to Arcata, California

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    I am originally from Rhode Island, lived in Connecticut. My father and I hiked all over New England in the Fifties. Mount Frissell and Bear Mountain were regular get-aways. But now after having lived all over the county (and France and England) I stick to West of the Mississippi. Your conversation has me itching to hit the road again. As soon as my new truck is broken-in I'm heading to Arcata, California
    Cool, you should do it, hit the road have some fun, by the way I'm surprised that you were able to leave Rhode Island, you know since most Rhode Islanders don't go more than a couple streets from their home their entire lives...

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    ... As soon as my new truck is broken-in I'm heading to Arcata, California
    Let me know when you get to Arcata -- "Where the Sixties meet the sea" -- if you would like to meet up.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Let me know when you get to Arcata -- "Where the Sixties meet the sea" -- if you would like to meet up.
    Will do! My next younger brother lives there. He is recovering from a heart valve replacement and I owe him some company.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post

I sit in my chair about 8 feet away from my fireplace and add wood as needed.

Sheesh, that one was easy.
    what jim said......btw jim, i will be in vegas in jan......coffee is on me.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Quote Originally Posted by jerrybro View Post
    I used to teach a course that dealt with practical optical metrology and I always started it with a simple equation, Vibration = Death. There are 3 ways to deal with vibration. Add a lot of mass, design a very rigid structure, or stress the structure you're stuck with. What you are doing is stressing the bed by bending it using the tripod. If you do it a lot the bed will get looser. But, if you only need it once in a while it is a very good idea.
    I have been using this method and variations of this method for 10 years now, and I have not noticed the rails loosening up. I only use the bungee cord for 300mm to 400mm when there is wind. With the longer focal lens I always use the cord. That said, your point is well taken, and I will now be watching for any slop that the cord may introduce into the bed rails. Thanks.

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post

I sit in my chair about 8 feet away from my fireplace and add wood as needed.

Sheesh, that one was easy.
    Staying indoors in front of a fireplace from late November til early April is not really an option here, at least not if I want to retain whatever tenuous grasp on sanity I still hold. There's a blizzard moving through tonight and tomorrow, and all I'm thinking is that I would like to go out with the 5x7 and see if I can capture some nice streetlight blowing snow urban landscapes. And then I see the thermometer is at -21, and I think perhaps the urban landscapes can wait til tomorrow.

So far I've only ventured out in the snow a few times, and next to my car, but all night shots, so I'm not a total wuss.

Anyway I'm going out to try and shoot some skimpy dressed women on rocks near the ocean under snow with my 4x5 and possibly some strobes... This should be interesting...

Though I may end up switching to "tiny" gear to get the job done, ya know, better to get the shot in "low quality" than not get the shot at all...