I've been practicing film loading/unloading, set up, focusing, movements, lens management etc. with my Chamonix and Super Graphic, getting familiar with things. Back on Nov. 1 photobymike told me to quit practicing and"go out and burn film man".

Well, it took a while longer than I planned, but yesterday I had my first "live" session .
I drove my wife up to Harrisburg PA to visit a friend on Saturday. After dropping her off I headed over to a spot overlooking the center of Norfolk Southern's Enola Yard to shoot some photos with the Cham and the rollfilm back. I have some 4x5 holders loaded, but only with B&W and wanted to shoot color here.

Well, first lesson learned was don't try shooting large format for real the first time on a 33* day standing on a bluff, in the shade, with the wind blowing and without proper gloves, when using a camera you're unfamiliar with that demands a lot of concentration even when you are familiar with it.

I shot two rolls of 120 at 6x17, eight whole shots (Enola is perfect for panos) in the two hours I was there, screwed up the frame advance count at least once that I know of, am fairly sure I mismanaged dark slide removal
one or two times and dealing with the dark cloth probably looked comical to an observer. But I enjoyed every single freezing second of it. I mean I loved it. Playing around with the camera is one thing. Knowing there was film being shot just changed the feeling of the whole experience.

I'm excited to see the results, good or bad. I know the bad will lead to good if I learn from it.