Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question for recent purchasers of the Shen Hao 8x10

Re: Question for recent purchasers of the Shen Hao 8x10

Just took a look, out of curiosity, at the Badger Graphic site and the FCL810-A. Looks like there's been a few changes to both price and the camera itself.

I paid right at $2K (maybe $2,050 or something) when I bought mine in...2011, I think. So I guess that's not all bad in there must be some demand, which bodes well for LF photography in general. I was trying to see what the "$700" signified, now I understand...

One of the other changes appears to be hardware related - for as long as I've been aware of this camera, which is quite a few years. All the knobs were clear aluminum 'color', with a little black rubber knurled grip ring inset into the knob. Now it appears the black rubber ring has gone away and the knobs are all solid aluminum. While I never had any trouble with the rubber rings, I'm sure after time they could loosen a bit and slip, or even be lost if one was hard on their camera.

Gotta bring up another positive point on the FCL810 now - without looking at my camera at the moment I would say that ALL of the hardware used threaded, or otherwise adjustable/replaceable hardware, instead of the permanent rivets used in many places by other makers. To me this means that if I decided I wanted to look into replacing my old style knobs with the new style - something I'll have to ask John at BG about - I wouldn't have to send my camera off somewhere to get the work done. Just wanted to add that little point to the inventory here.

Oh, and I finally made it back home to Dallas last night after a long, slow day creeping along I-20E, thanks for asking. It got above freezing for a good part of the day yesterday, allowing travel for many stranded drivers, mostly semi trucks.

I bought a new FCL810 in 2010 and there were no 'build' or 'finish' quality issues with the camera. The front standard is quite different from the Chamonix and if folds up differently, a bag bellows is available for the FCL810 and it comes with a Sinar-to-Linhof adapter lensboard. Perhaps it is the older Chamonix that had issues as they have upgraded that camera and it is now 1Kg heavier. I'd select the camera with the features you want, not the camera someone on the internet owns.

Arlington VA for real & West Milford NJ in my heart and head

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Perhaps it is the older Chamonix that had issues as they have upgraded that camera and it is now 1Kg heavier. I'd select the camera with the features you want, not the camera someone on the internet owns.
    Perhaps you meant the older Shen Hao, as all reviews I have read for Chamonix have been positive, no matter how old. The Shen Hao has what I want for an 8x10 but there were a lot of older reviews that were negative compared to the Chamonix and I never found an really current reviews. That is why I'm asking recent purchasers of the SH how they like them.
    Because that is the one I'd prefer.

Thanks for the comments on yours.
    Bob

There's mosquitoes on the river, fish are rising up like birds. It's been hot for seven weeks now, too hot to even speak now, did you hear what I just heard?

You probably know that the FCL810 is a relatively new model in the Shen Hao line did you read negative reviews of that one?

Arlington VA for real & West Milford NJ in my heart and head

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    You probably know that the FCL810 is a relatively new model in the Shen Hao line did you read negative reviews of that one?
    I've found posts about the FCL810 going back to 2006 so it doesn't seem that new.
    Bob

There's mosquitoes on the river, fish are rising up like birds. It's been hot for seven weeks now, too hot to even speak now, did you hear what I just heard?

Any opinions regarding the Shen-Hao TFC 810A , for landscape pictures ?
    Thanks
    Sergio

Sergio,
    I do have 2 Shen Hao cameras in 8x10". The FCL810-A and the HZX810. Both cameras are superbly constructed and built. Even compared to the Chamonix 045N-1 and the Ebony 45S I owned before! Sometimes it is difficult to choose one of the cameras. Now I use the HZX810, when I want to use long lenses. The HZX can easily handle my 30" Artar! Bellows draw is 800mm and it`s stable! For the FCL810-A the max is my Fujinon-C 600mm - bellows draw is around 680mm. When I want to travel light I use the FCL810-A, it`s much lighter. The main differences in usage are coming from the construction principles. The HZX810 is a classic double extension folding camera, the FCL810-A is "Phillips-style" camera. I found out, that the classic design is quicker in setup for me and it`s a little more stable.
    You can see a comparison here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/22668450@N08/11694728736/

Daniel