Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OK to use Zone VI sensor with V54 bulb?

OK to use Zone VI sensor with V54 bulb?

Hello,
    So, I picked up this head from eBay, an Aristo 5x7 cold light. The head has the older W45 bulb in it, and it looks like someone retrofitted it with the Zone VI sensor. If I upgrade to the V54 bulb, 57-LO-V54, which is available from Louis Kessler and the good people at VoltArc, is it ok to use the new bulb with the Zone VI sensor? I have a RH Designs Stopclock Vario which I will use with this head.

I have included some pictures.

Larry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2013-12-06 at 3.42.35 PM.jpg   $(KGrHqQOKjIE7EFbsRNDBSc(Snu10!~~60_57.jpg   $T2eC16RHJHsFGldoHmPWBSc(SS0q1Q~~60_57.jpg   $T2eC16JHJHEFFmJEpvC7BSc(SJcPcg~~60_57.jpg  

Re: OK to use Zone VI sensor with V54 bulb?

Yes, it is ok.
    Unless the amount of light produced by the lamp is outside of the limits of the sensor to detect and create a current based on the light measured, it should work with any lamp. All it does is create a current proportional to the amount of light measured at the sensor. The timer recalculates the time needed based on that current that it measures throughout the exposure.

Drew Wiley

I've done it that way for years, with the ZVI sensor above a big V54 unit. But I have it connected to a simple beeper, not any kind of feedback box. Just be careful
    to properly warm up your cold light first, and place the sensor at some point relatively diffused or neutral relative to the cold light, since the perimeter bends of the tubes sometimes behave a little differently than the more usable main area of the grid.

Works fine for me too with the compensating enlarging timer.

Thanks everybody.

Could people tell me the advantages of the V54 bulb over the old W45 one that I have? I have read a lot of threads but am still not sure.

Actually the sensor is installed in a bad place.
    As you have a RH Designs Stopclock Vario, look at the manual, they explain very well how to install the probe http://www.rhdesigns.co.uk/darkroom/...rio_UM_v85.pdf p25-26
    My Lumen project http://ginetteclement.com

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Kellogg View Post
    Thanks everybody.

Could people tell me the advantages of the V54 bulb over the old W45 one that I have? I have read a lot of threads but am still not sure.
    Larry,
    There are multiple threads here that discuss this topic. IIRC, the most important difference is the color of the light for printers using VC or MG papers. The newer lamp is better suited for both split printing and achieving the full range of contrast grades. Please read those threads though rather than trusting me. The newer lamp should also be brighter unless I misunderstand. Someone more knowledgeable on this topic please chime in.

Thanks a lot for pointing out that the sensor is in a bad place! It is in the corner where the tube comes out. The StopClock manual says that the sensor should be in the middle of the tube grid, with the sensor pointing towards the diffuser. I hope I have enough wire to get the sensor in the middle of the grid.

By the way, it doesn't seem that obvious to me which side is the sensor side, I don't see a shiny blue sensor, I guess it is on the opposite side of all the blobs of solder. Anybody know?

Quote Originally Posted by Ginette View Post
    Actually the sensor is installed in a bad place.
    As you have a RH Designs Stopclock Vario, look at the manual, they explain very well how to install the probe http://www.rhdesigns.co.uk/darkroom/...rio_UM_v85.pdf p25-26

The V54 bulb works with modern multigrade filters and modern papers. If you just print fixed grades there is no real advantage to it. Many sources say you can use various yellowish filters to get the older bulb to work but I tried those suggestions and none of them work really and I was very glad I upgraded the bulb.

I also put the Zone VI sensor looking right in the middle of an outside tube, not in a bend.

Yes, looking at your photo, I'd say the sensor side is the one that doesn't have the solder points on it. My Zone VI sensors don't look much like that. But if it works, it works.