Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chemical mixing

Re: Chemical mixing

You are supposed to mope the floor?

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTerry View Post
    Never ever never ever mix powdered chemicals anywhere near where you will later hang wet negatives to dry. Never..

Not sure if you're serious or joking around. I'v been developing film on the same kitchen counter where I mixed up the developer (often just a few minutes prior) for over twenty years...never noticed any issues related to chemical dust. My mom did the same thing...for a long, long time...I think you must be joking.

Either he's joking or is very sloppy in pouring the powder.
    I also develop and hang wet neg and prints in the same area I mix chems, and never had a issue.

Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Not sure if you're serious or joking around. I'v been developing film on the same kitchen counter where I mixed up the developer (often just a few minutes prior) for over twenty years...never noticed any issues related to chemical dust. My mom did the same thing...for a long, long time...I think you must be joking.

So I am supposed to mix the chemicals in a plastic bucket? That's the only thing available here, and please don't tell me to get a bucket that is made for chemical mixing

Cheers

Raffay

Yes Raffay, that is fine. Just buy a cheap to use for that.

Raffay, just remember to filter your developer before you put it in your storage bottles and you will be rewarded.

As an afterthought, also use filtered water to clean your storage bottles to eliminate any chance of particles on your valuable negatives.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Although I haven't mixed D-76 in some time, the instructions on the package should be self explanatory p probably to bring 3 lts of water up to a certain temperature and then slowly stir in the powder and continue stirring until completely dissolved. You can check on how much of the powder has been dissolved by shining a flashlight into it while stirring. If you see little white specs swirling around in the water keep stirring until you seen none. Then top the volume off to 3.8 ltrs (1 gallon). It's a good idea to let it to sit overnight before using.

I mix mine (Xtol) in a 2 gallon Arkay container with floating lid http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...rage_Tank.html using a stirring paddle like this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._stirring.html. A magnetic stirrer is on my shopping list.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Pedersen View Post
    You can mix in an open bucket no problem. It is best to start with less than the full amount of water as the chemistry will add volume.
    Start with 3 liter of water and dissolve the chemistry and then add water till you have 3.8L
    I would highly recomend that you filter the developer before you put it in your clean storage bottles.
    Thanks also for this advice. I just made up two gallons and will make sure that I filter it prior to use.

I use an automatic stirrer. But, there still can be some particles remaining.

As a comment, I note that 3.8 liters is 1.0039 gallons.

1.0039 gallons will make the developer useless

Something I missed in my response to Raffay earlier is that it really does not matter if the end volume is 4L or 3L as long as he will test and end up with perfect negatives.
    Times given by Kodak will of course no longer be valid but the developer will still be as good but just in a different dilution as recommended by Kodak.
    Consistency it really what is important. Test with the process that is convenient and stick with it.

Hi Raffay,

There are many factors that influence how closely our actual environment is to "ideal".

For example, I have two completely separate sets of containers, measuring vessels, and implements.
    One set is used exclusively for developers, and nothing else.
    The second set is used for stop bath, fixer, and other auxiliary mixing duties.

It depends a lot on how much space you have.
    My darkroom is about 3,5 meters square with lots of cabinets and shelves, so plenty of storage space.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.