Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Portrait lens options for5x7

Portrait lens options for5x7

Hi folks

I'm planning to do a portraiture series on 5x, and I don't think I have a suitable lens as I'm looking for a classical smooth look which probably means a lens with residual spherical aberration.

These are what I have for 5x7 above 150mm:

Wollensak Enlarging Raptar 4.5/162mm - not tried it, doubt it will cover 5x7, might be quite soft wide open?
    Ilex Acuton f4.8/215mm - plasmat, doubt the rendering will be what I want
    Eskofot Ultragon f9/210mm - process plasmat, again probably won't have a suitable rendering
    Wray HR Lustrar f5.6/7" (178mm) - tessar type, intended to be shot at f8 or smaller, don't know what the rendering is like wide open
    Staeble Ultragon f9/240mm - another process plasmat
    Wray APO Process Lustrar f10/12" (300mm) - dialyte, doubtful it will render in a suitable way

So, what options do people recommend - trying out the lenses I have first, perhaps using a diffusion filter?

What lenses do people recommend for 5x7? A Pentac 2.9/8" might be the ticket, I know the image circle turns to mush in the corners on 5x7, but for portraits, that will probably look nice, and wide open it's soft and glowy.

A petzval appeals, but I have no idea what length would be needed for 5x7 and I don' know how to find a Petzval without paying more than my meagre budget can afford, any tips on Petzvalhuning would be appreciated, aren't some magic lantern/projection lenses Petzvals? I do happen to have a pair of Kershaw projection lenses from the 1950s that are Petzvals but they are 5 and 5.5" respectively and are very heavy as the barrels are very thick aluminium to dissipate the heat of a 35mm projector's lamp. I shot this with the 5" one ad this is the wort of smooth rendering I like for portraits:

P.S. Shutter isn't an issue, I'll be using paper negatives so a lens cap will suffice.

Re: Portrait lens options for5x7

You could consider a Kodak Ektar 203. Nice image when opened up but I've never tried mine on 5x7 portraits.
    Pete.

Hi Pete

That's a dialyte, right? I could try my Wray 12", that's also a dialyte.

I'm looking for a 240 Heliar in synch shutter myself

otherwise...I have a 250mm f3.5 Xenar and a f6.3 300mm

My choice is the 240 Heliar..... thanks to Jim Galli

The portrait you provided looks pretty nice. If your background is going to be plain, why not use it? If you want a longer FL, buy a 2 1/4" slide projector. They are dirt cheap now and you might find one with an appropriate lens for well under $50. Try Goodwill online store, Salvation Army and similar stores.

In Dagor types, there are now several 210/6.8 Beryls up on ebay.fr (not mine, and I'm not acquainted with the sellers). All in barrel, the cells are direct fits in a Compur #1.

BTW, isn't 210 mm a bit short for a portrait lens on 5x7?

It sounds like you want to save money, so I'd look for a Bausch and Lomb IC Tessar or Series II Velostigmat. If you're patient, you could get a 9" Velo with the soft focus adjustment, like this one 251361432503.

I'd like a 240 heliar, but sadly, Heliars are probably outside my budget, hence my interest in the Pentac, which is similar to a Heliar of course and AM Pentacs are pretty common here, I have one but the front glass is ruined.

I'm not sure what would be a good focal length for portraits, I suppose 300mm would be about right. The bellows on my 5x7 limits me to about 360mm I think. I have a huge 14" Anastigmat without a name on it, just a crown, the aperture blades are missing so it's wide open only, that might be worth a try I suppose, not sure if it's a tessar or a triplet.

The portrait was taken with a Kershaw 5" projector lens that is a Petzval type, it was mounted on an old 6mp Canon DSLR. I doubt that 5" lens would come close to covering 5x7. I do have a longer one but I think it's 5.5", I'll have to dig it out and check.

B&L and Wolly lenses don't turn up too often over here in England, but there are plenty of English equivalents.

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    It sounds like you want to save money, so I'd look for a Bausch and Lomb IC Tessar or Series II Velostigmat.
    +1