Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Super Angulon 65mm f8 - Could someone measure one for me?

Re: Super Angulon 65mm f8 - Could someone measure one for me?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gebhardt View Post
    Mine's in a 00 Syncro Compur, for what it's worth.
    That's what it's supposed to be in. In theory, that puts a 16mm spacing between the two cells. The Prontor is also 16mm but the front thread is a bit different:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	65mmsa.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	105818

I'm just seeing if I need to remove a bit more metal to get the spacing right.

Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Extra dimension of doubt now added by Schneider via Dan!

Steve.
    Steve, I went to the archived old Schneider site and looked at the old brochure. Same dimension. How long is yours?

FWIW, I have a 65/8 Ilex that came to me in an electric shutter badged Opto Dynetics. Cells threaded #00, shutter tube length 10 mm. Steve Grimes insisted that lens and shutter were by Ilex, machined a regular (tube length 16 mm) #00 to accept the cells and give the right spacing. He muttered something about "the shoulder problem." If you have a #00 that seems too long, well, its the shoulder problem again and can be fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    its the shoulder problem again and can be fixed.
    I know it can be fixed, I'm just trying to determine how much fixing I need to do!

I'm going to aim for the 56mm in the Schneider data sheet and see what the results are. I don't know what the measurement is now, I just have a feeling that it's a bit too long.

This is what it is doing at the moment:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	105819

Sharp in the middle, blurry on the outside.

I like the effect but it would be nice if I could control it. i.e. correct spacing screwed all the way in, unwind a few turns for blurry edges!

Steve

I don't see how my lens could get any shorter, short of removing metal. I wonder if they changed the design at sometimes during the run. So what else could account for the almost 1.5mm longer length vs the published specs?

Larry, its a question of the lens cell's design. Some flare a little, have shoulders and won't screw as far as necessary into a shutter that's threaded normally. The solution is to bore the shutter tube out to accept the shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gebhardt View Post
    I wonder if they changed the design at sometimes during the run. So what else could account for the almost 1.5mm longer length vs the published specs?
    This might be a bit offtopic but I'm sure that they did change things during the run. I used to own a 65/8 super angulon that was in a compur 0 (i.e. NOT 00) shutter, and I've never heard or read of another instance like it. Mine was in a non-original shutter which originally came from a rodenstock 65/4.5, but when inspecting the threading on the lens cells everything to my eye looked as if it was all original and "factory". No sign of machining or anything like that. I have a couple of photos from when I sold it:

It was sharp edge to edge so I can only assume all the cell spacing was correct. Sorry I didn't measure it before selling it Steve.

I haved heard of them being fitted to size 0 shutters before but I haven't seen one. I assumed they used threaded barrels to make them fit into a larger diameter opening.

Steve.

Steve, what measurement have you achieved so far? I wouldn't start machining just yet. That Schneider fact-sheet was for the lens mounted in a Copal shutter, which I suspect makes it newer rather than older. I wouldn't count on Schneider telling the whole story in those fact sheets.

Rick "who has a couple he can measure" Denney

Rick, I went to the archived old Schneider site too. http://web.archive.org/web/201009220...hiv/archiv.htm The '67 W/A lens brochure shows a lens in a Compur, says that the 65/8 SA goes in a #00 and that its total length is 56 mm. Go see for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Rick, I went to the archived old Schneider site too. http://web.archive.org/web/201009220...hiv/archiv.htm The '67 W/A lens brochure shows a lens in a Compur, says that the 65/8 SA goes in a #00 and that its total length is 56 mm. Go see for yourself.
    Heh, sure enough. We'll see what my calipers say. I have two lenses--I'll probably see two different measurements.

Rick "stay tuned" Denney