Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Repairing Pentax digital spot meter

Re: Repairing Pentax digital spot meter

When you say normal electrical guy, do you mean a guy who can fix electronics but knows nothing about light meter calibration?
    IT'S NOT WORTH IT.

Quote Originally Posted by jumanji View Post
    ...I measured the votage of the battery is 5.63V. It's an alkaline Enercell PX28A. I will buy a new silver oxide to check...
    That's far lower than I've every measured when removing a silver oxide battery after one to one and one half years of (admittedly not heavy) use in this meter. It's typically dropped only from the initial 6.35V to no less than 6.0V open circuit. I don't know what the cutoff/shutdown voltage is that Richard mentioned above, but strongly suspect a fresh battery will bring your meter back to full function. By the way, Varta seems to be the only manufacturer still making silver oxide PX-28s.

Quote Originally Posted by jumanji View Post
    Indeed I did search and read you post Sal. I thought it's better if there is more comment regarding this problem (type of battery)...
    I'm glad you performed a search prior to starting this thread. If, at that point, you felt more discussion was necessary, there was no reason to start a new thread on the battery type subject. Existing threads can be added to just as easily, thereby keeping the archive cleaner and easier to review.

My spotmeter is flaking a bit, so I'm thinking my battery is going too. I'd like to have some backup, so here's what I'm looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/4SR44-Silver-O...+oxide+battery

Welllll....if it were me, and I'm only speaking for myself here, I think I'd just go for the new meter. $1,700 seems (to me) just a TAD steep for a new battery. Again, that's just me, YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by h2oman View Post
    My spotmeter is flaking a bit, so I'm thinking my battery is going too. I'd like to have some backup, so here's what I'm looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/4SR44-Silver-O...+oxide+battery

Here is a resource for those of you that are interested in comparing the various battery technologies.
    http://www.watchbatteries-usa.com/faq.html
    Like the Pentax spot meter, many watches use the characteristics of the battery technology as a design element. Thiis has been a legitimate design technique since the beginning of commercial battery operated devices. The FAQ sheet is a good (relatively) non-technical explanation.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    Welllll....if it were me, and I'm only speaking for myself here, I think I'd just go for the new meter. $1,700 seems (to me) just a TAD steep for a new battery. Again, that's just me, YMMV.
    Oh, but you need to read more carefully. For the $1700 I get a new battery and 999 spares!

Ha ha! You're right, I didn't read the listing as carefully as I might. If I didn't know better, Id'a thought the ad was for a battery FACTORY at that price!

A bit late to this thread, but FWIW: Ricoh/Pentax still sells the Digital Spotmeter new in Japan so presumably they still service the thing, though I gather there have been some changes during the production run so it's possible that earlier ones can't be serviced now.

Anyway, if a new battery doesn't help and your meter does need repair, you might ask Dirk Rösler at Japan Exposures - possibly the cost and turnaround time would be less if you send it to Japan.

Cogito, ergo sum

Thanks Oren, I will try that.
    Last Sunday I shot some nude. First, I took my friend's Gossen, but I was not familiar with it (Pentax is simple and also the best IMO ) , so finally I shot all without meter, and also without a shutter (I used a "kinda lens cap shutter"). Yesterday I developed a half (4 of 7) and all 4 are fine. For contact print I think (and I prefer) a little more density would be better, but for scanning they are good.
    I ordered two silver oxide batteries from Varta. While waiting for the shipping, I will try a new alkaline to see can it work back.
    Life = Love + Passion + Responsibility

Cogito, ergo sum

Update: I received the Varta silver oxide battery today, and after attaching it, the meter works! Thank you Richard!
    I also bought a non working Pentax spotmeter and will ship it to Richard to repair (if possible). So I may have a spare meter.
    Thanks all .
    Life = Love + Passion + Responsibility