Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Large format in the wild!

Large format in the wild!

Stumble across a LF camera out "in the wild"? Take a pict of the camera and photographer and post it here--if you see yourself or someone you know chime in!

Yosemite over Thanksgiving weekend, 2013 (photographed by my wife):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yosemite_Photographer.jpg 
Views:	402 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	106835

--Darin

Re: Large format in the wild!

What a beast! He looks a bit stressed though. Well I would be with probably 40 digisnappers watching me closely instead of the valley, pulling that huge dark slide, stepping down the ladder, walking to the front of the camera to notice that the shutter preview is still open
    Tom Keymeulen

we all know who that is. pretty famous californian
    I've only seen other lf'ers in california, nowhere else.

Recently we were in Florence, Italy. When we rolled up on the hotel, there was a young-ish (say, early 20s) guy sitting on the pavement out front, pointing a large (larger than 8x10) camera, which appeared homemade, at the surrounding area. I didn't approach him, but he was having a bear of a time dealing with the high winds. His dark cloth blew off twice while we were checking in. Only second time I've ever seen a LF photog out shooting, the first being an 8x10 in Yellowstone.

Really too close to a road to be 'in the wild', but close enough. (based on the OP's photo).

"Vaughn's Shadow Takes a Vacation" (5x7 contact print), and an image of me that appeared in the Fresno Bee several years ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VaughnsShadow.jpg   Yosemite Falls 2007.jpg  
    Last edited by Vaughn; 19-Dec-2013 at 13:09.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Drew Wiley

I don't think any location with hundreds of tour buses whizzing by and a typical summer population of over thirty thousand inhabitants exactly qualifies as wild. So
    you should logically scratch Yosemite Valley off that list. When I was growing up, we routinely referred to that place as "the city". But there are significant sections
    within the overall Park boundaries where you might walk for a week and have only 50/50 odds of encountering anyone else. ... but I don't think I'd want to be toting
    anything bigger than a 4x5 system in those places. Maybe what you need is a more tightly sealed bellows ... containing helium. Which is bigger, that camera or the
    Ahwahnee Hotel ?

O.K., guys, don't get all he-manish on me. "In the wild"--notice the quotes!!--just refers to seeing a stranger out of doors with a LF camera. A mall parking lot would be "in the wild." Now post those photos!

--Darin

Drew Wiley

... Oh my mistake... I thought it was his motorhome, with the camera somewhere behind that windshield.

Luckily he had an assistant with him. But the camera *was* bigger than they car he was driving!

--Darin

I'm honestly the only LF shooter I've ever met let alone seen in the wild, hah! I almost made it to a LF meetup but I thought it was at night but instead it was at 2pm... Old guys go to sleep so early... LOL

I do know on friend who ordered a brand new $7,500 4x5 got it, and then sold it for $5,000 for no foreseeable reason except he decided to shoot digital instead... Insane... We had planned to go out shooting together sometime and then sold his before my body came on the mail... Hah!

I would be so excited to just to meet any LF'rs