Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How do the Fuginon lenses stack up?

Re: How do the Fuginon lenses stack up?

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    Oh, you mean fujinon? Yeah, those are great. Much better than the fugi's.
    +1 Those Fugi are DEADLY!

I own a Fuji 250mm f6.7 lens for 8x10 and 4x5. It's one of my favorites. A buddy of mine shoots a Hasselblad Xpan with Fuji lenses. I'm considering buying a digital Fujinon X-E2 when it comes out. The X lenses are said to be outstanding. When you look at medium format film cameras the Fuji camera lenses are said to compare favorably with the Mamiya 6 and 7 lenses.

Fujinon makes sharp glass.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I don't own any of their lens but Fujinon binoculars are excellent! I have the 16x70.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    ...When you look at medium format film cameras the Fuji camera lenses are said to compare favorably with the Mamiya 6 and 7 lenses...
    Not even close. Mamiya 7 lenses are in a class by themselves.

I own a GW670III and Mamiya 7 + 80mm. Both purchased new and the Fuji was gone over by their factory service. No comparison -- Mamiya wins a sharpness contest with the 90mm f/3.5 Fujinon by a mile. See here for objective data from someone else that corroborate my results:

None of this has any bearing on Fujinon large format lens performance. I own many of those. Some are outstanding in certain parameters, others are just OK. I even found one that was a real dog -- the 300mm f/8.5 C. Bought brand new, it was the only Fujinon lens for any format I've ever encountered that exhibited very low contrast. Sold and replaced with a 300mm f/9 Nikkor M, with which I'm now very satisfied.

My only dud was an older 240A ( love my new one ) that I got from KEH that had coating etching from fungus.
    I promptly returned the "Funghinon"...;-)

Fujinon lenses are NOT to be missed! They are often offered as standard lenses on the Alpenhause 110B and 900 polaroid 4x5 conversion cameras. All versions of 150mm and 135mm are just outstanding.

Hasselblad cameras now use Fujinon lenses even though they may be marked "Hasselblad" on the lenses, they used to use Carl Zeiss lenses and before that Ektars.

Drew Wiley

With med format film I get significantly better results with either Fuji A & C or Nikkor M lenses on a view camera than any dedicated MF system. It just makes sense. When you have movements available, you can not only control the plane of focus, but also more often use ideal f-stops. With a fixed-back camera, all you can do for depth of field is either stop down or change your perspective for a shorter focal length. The Mamiya 7 and other rangefinders are out of their league once long lenses come into play. So if you're talking about a basketball league just for only short people, with a hoop only 75mm high ....

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Not even close. Mamiya 7 lenses are in a class by themselves.

I own a GW670III and Mamiya 7 + 80mm. Both purchased new and the Fuji was gone over by their factory service. No comparison -- Mamiya wins a sharpness contest with the 90mm f/3.5 Fujinon by a mile. See here for objective data from someone else that corroborate my results:

None of this has any bearing on Fujinon large format lens performance. I own many of those. Some are outstanding in certain parameters, others are just OK. I even found one that was a real dog -- the 300mm f/8.5 C. Bought brand new, it was the only Fujinon lens for any format I've ever encountered that exhibited very low contrast. Sold and replaced with a 300mm f/9 Nikkor M, with which I'm now very satisfied.
    Sal, I'm not doubting you and your objective data but I have read so much where people claimed to have shot both and one or the other was a bit sharper or they were equal.

I use to own a Nikkor M f/9 lens. It was indeed sharp and contrasty.

Fuji has ceased production of large format lenses.

(My info. comes from Badger Graphic Sales which is an importer of LF Fujinon lenses).

i have a 125 fujinon cmw that is definitely a keeper.