Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Which NEW 11x14 film holder do you prefer?

Re: Which NEW 11x14 film holder do you prefer?

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I just talked to MPEX and they said Tachihara 11x14 holders are no longer made or available and will not be made ever again.

AWB and Chamonix are in business and both contacted me. Thank you both.

I just left a message for Richard Ritter.

I hope my barely used holder offer comes through...
    The 11x14 ULF format is a bit of an effort in getting "set up" as right now holders are in short supply (this was not the case a short time ago), lenses need a broader image circle and film is another challenge that can be resolved. But as the other contributor stated, when you pull that big mamma jamma out of the fixer and gaze at all of its visual marvel, it will put a big smile on your face and all will be well.

Even when you find your holders verify the T lock distances on your camera to verify that they match properly. I continue to use a dark cloth over my camera back when making images to be "safe" as the risk of light leaks are real and anyone that uses a ULF camera has learned to manage this issue.

If you have a studio camera wouldn't you be best served by buying one or two new holders from a company that keeps it's standards the same rather than odd used makes once and a while?

I've started making them but like Richard Ritter said there are over a hundred and fifty steps. I have listed at least that number myself. They are perfectly built instruments without very much of the maker showing. Form follows function is so apt here.

The dimensions are critical and the T-Depth nearly exact. Keep in mind that the camera back must have the exact same displacement of the ground glass as the T-Depth of the holder. If it isn't then it has to be reworked to make it match.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    ...Keep in mind that the camera back must have the exact same displacement of the ground glass as the T-Depth of the holder...
    Close, but not quite. Ground glass distance from the film holder seating surface must equal a holder's T dimension minus film's thickness, the latter typically assumed to be 0.007-inch.

wouldn't it be simpler to have a set of custom-cut cutter heads made for use with a router? Maybe in use with a shaper?

Somehow it strikes me as this is the best(and most easily repeated) method for making the long-edge of film holders.

A shaper and custom cutting heads. Just use a table saw for the times where you need to make (1) cut

just thinkin out loud here

heck, what about having them 3d printed with black, opaque material?
    just incorporate the design to have removable light traps(like the older wooden holders w/ the metal bar along the top retained by screws)

again, just thinkin out loud here

[ADD] same goes for ULF/odd sized holders... 3D printing is becoming cheap, and you don't have to worry about the resins swelling with humidity changes like some wooden holders can have a tendency to do

Believe me I have been thinking about how to make them, but I am not even close. Today I made a 11x14 box bellows for my SC11 to give me more draw. Hardly a precision project, but a successful one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Close, but not quite. Ground glass distance from the film holder seating surface must equal a holder's T dimension minus film's thickness, the latter typically assumed to be 0.007-inch.
    The film is assumed, since only an idiot would expose an empty holder. By the way I don't work in close.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Stone View Post
    wouldn't it be simpler to have a set of custom-cut cutter heads made for use with a router? Maybe in use with a shaper?

Somehow it strikes me as this is the best(and most easily repeated) method for making the long-edge of film holders.

A shaper and custom cutting heads. Just use a table saw for the times where you need to make (1) cut

just thinkin out loud here

I have a Powermatic 3hp Shaper, getting a "cutter" made is an expensive proposition. It's not impossible though. I use four wing carbide shaper cutters and have my cabinet shop to work in.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    The film is assumed, since only an idiot would expose an empty holder. By the way I don't work in close.
    I have been known to pull that stunt.

m
    Michael Cienfuegos

Name: ______William Booth

I think Chamonix is the best bet going forward for new ULF holders. I don't own one of their cameras, but I bought an excellent 5x7 wet plate holder from them. Beautiful craftsmanship and fantastic communication from Hugo.