Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fix for Overexposed/Overdeveloped film?

Talking Fix for Overexposed/Overdeveloped film?

Hey guys, new to the forum here. I recently shot some 4x5 film with a Speed Graphic, and forgot to reset the shutter speed for one of the shots, overexposing it. Of course I unknowingly compound the problem by developing it at normal times with the rest of my shots.

Is there any way to fix the negative with resorting to photoshop? I searched on the forums and found threads in reference to bleaching the negative/removing some of the density, but I'm not sure about it. Would Farmer's Reducer work in this case, should I go with another solution?

This is the picture in question:

http://nathansills.com/images/N1.jpg

Here is a second shot that was exposed & developed correctly:

http://nathansills.com/images/N2.jpg

Thank you all, I appreciate any responses!

Nate

Re: Fix for Overexposed/Overdeveloped film?

Nate,
    Your problem neg appears to be light-struck rather than being evenly overexposed. This would point to a light-leak in your equipment or a mistake placing the holder, etc. I really don't think you are going to be able to salvage this negative. The fogging is way too uneven.

Best,

Doremus

You can add contrast in the darkroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    Nate,
    Your problem neg appears to be light-struck rather than being evenly overexposed. This would point to a light-leak in your equipment or a mistake placing the holder, etc. I really don't think you are going to be able to salvage this negative. The fogging is way too uneven.

Best,

Doremus
    I agree completely.

I have to agree with Doremus; locate the holder in question, and test it for light leaks. Use enlarging paper cut to size, in place of film.
    If the holder shows no light leaks, then the way the holder sat in the camera is the likely cause.
    Nice shot, btw.

Thank you Doremus & Ari, I'll go check the holder and camera and just learn for next time. I think I might try out the bleaching process anyway just to get familiar with it since I probably can't save the negative anyway. If anything comes out of it I'll post back here!

The properly done negative looks OK but the fogged negative seems to have a serious problem with dust and dirt. What's up with that?

I would not use any bleaching process on the bad negative at this time. It might be saved in Photoshop with some masking.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTerry View Post
    The properly done negative looks OK but the fogged negative seems to have a serious problem with dust and dirt. What's up with that?

I would not use any bleaching process on the bad negative at this time. It might be saved in Photoshop with some masking.

You're right, I had begun masking using the second photo to fill in the details but it will take a ton of work. I was hoping I could save the original negative.

If I use the bleaching process, it will just be as a learning experience if anything, I don't really expect any positive results at all.

Thank you for the advice!

Hours of masking later... what do you guys think? Some detail was destroyed and the grain worsened but the exposure cleared up pretty nicely.

http://www.nathansills.com/ghost-of-...orgivable-past

Yes, I think it is a light leak. I've had similar before, I think from accidentally pulling the darkslide as I pull the holder, but not sure. It always happens on your favourite shot!