Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 00 shutters for Super Angulon

00 shutters for Super Angulon

Yesterday the shutter on my super angulon just stopped functioning. Some of the shutter blades seem to operate normally but one in particular is not responding to the action.

After reading extensively I have learned that the 00 shutters are some what extinct and even used ones are hard to find.

Its a shame because the lens had been performing very well and I enjoyed using it.

I have already emailed SK Grimes and am waiting for his thoughts.

Meanwhile I'd like to know if anyone has run into this same issue since this is a fairly common lens.

I have read on other forums that some medium format cameras used the 00 shutter and that they might be adaptable somehow. One other idea that comes to mind is if its possible to mount this lens to a more common O shutter.

Lastly there is this business of creating a new aperture scale. Might there be any versions of this shutter on MF cameras with the appropriate scale? If not this is one topic I have not been able to find anything on, that is creating a new aperture scale.

Re: 00 shutters for SA

Don't look for MF cameras, look for 35 mm folders. And look hard, older Compurs (not Syncho Compur) have T settings. Your best bet is to have your broken shutter overhauled.

SKGrimes can scale shutters, IIRC they charge around $50 for the service. By the way, Steve Grimes died in, IIRC, 2002. The company is now owned by the Dau brothers.

Thanks. I'm just trying to keep my options open as it seems many hit a dead end with these shutters.

Beware many Compurs off older cameras don't always have cable release sockets.

Ian

That's very good to know as that's the only way I shoot ever. I'm reading a lot and losing hope on this lens.

I am using a 127 ektar in the meantime but getting the SA shutter squared away may not be a possibility.

Im thinking depending on the shops I've contacted say I might just cut my losses and look for a working 0 shutter super angulon.

Kicking myself on the rear for not getting a speed graphic.

I'm fairly sure some of the Kodak Retina series had this shutter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Gordon Bilson View Post
    I'm fairly sure some of the Kodak Retina series had this shutter.
    Early Retinas might do. Late ones have Synchro Compurs with no cable release socket.

Another alternative for the OP is the #00 Prontor Press. My 47/5.6 SA came in one. Original issue from Schneider, as the camera maker requested.

On a temporary basis you could use a Vario shutter 3 speeds and B, There's also the Prontor SVS which is the equivalent of the Synchro Compur but not all have cable release sockets.

The other alternative is the Chinese #00 to #0 converters which allow #00 lens cells to be fitted to a #0 shutter, I think it would be wise to use a micrometer to check the spacings.

Ian

Thanks for the suggestions its good to know at the very least there is some way to make the lens functional at least in part. I looked at both vario and press shutters and I think they'd serve me for the greater part of what I shoot.

There's also a Prontor with better specifications, Prontor S similar, and a Pronto - like the Vario.

Ian