Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: found a bunch of large format lenses in the trash

multiplex

Re: found a bunch of large format lenses in the trash

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    You should just check that these are not "hot" items!
    Where I live, items left outside houses for collection, remain the property of the house owner until they are collected by the authorised trash collectors.
    that is what i was thinking
    i have heard plenty of stories
    of photographers getting their gear stolen
    and the robber looked at what he stole , scratched his head
    and dumped them someplace inconspicuous ... i would at least ask
    the person whose house they were infront of if he was throwing them out ..
    besides if he was throwing out lenses he probably will be happy to give away the cameras !

Thanks for posting the photo. You found some treasure in the trash. It sounds like you are getting ready to sell also. When someone new comes aboard, brandishing big ticket lenses, people often start private messaging that person, asking to buy. We've had a few cases where it was a scam, and more than one forum member has sent a LOT of money off into la-la land, never hearing from the "seller" again. I'm sure they will follow the standard procedures to ensure a bona fide sale, in the future. So your posting the picture gives some comfort. Potential buyers should ask for a phone number and address, get confirmation of the items with several pictures requesting shots of the items that only someone in possession could take, and using paypal or other safe payment methods.

i think he is yankin our cable ...who throws out lenses like this... i seen weirder but not lately

Yeah, here was one scam I recall, the infamous "Found this lens in my Grandmothers house after she passed away..." And a member lost all his money trying to buy a farce. Not saying that's what the OP is doing.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...Whats-it-worth

If the OP isn't yankin our chain they are probably hot. Probably got stolen and when it was determined they were not commodity digital stuff suitable for craigslist or the pawnshop they got dropped like a hot potato. Have someone check with the police.

Contact your local Police Department to make sure they have not ben reported stolen, that sounds fishy to me.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

These things were definitely meant to be disgarded I knocked on the door of the house that threw the items out, the residents said they did indeed throw it out and it was the last of her fathers equipment...I dont even want to think what else she threw out but. ....there was a ton of other retro crap left at the curb, a few old suitcases which I took too hoping there would be cameras or lenses in them as well.... besides the area I found it in is by no means a crime hotspot, and it was clearly evident by the amount of dust that these lenses have not been used In ages. If anyone feels I'm trying to scam anyone out of money well...yes its unusual to find these things in the trash but hey it happened. I never mentioned selling these items. I'm just looking to know more about what I found at this point.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Now that you found some lenses, you will need a camera to go with them. Two of them are 8x10 lenses, and two might cover 8x10, but are probably 5x7. Many here enjoy the 5x7, but there's not too much of a variety of film for it. Oh, and a tripod and a couple of film holders.

Be patient, you might find an 8x10, or a reasonable deal on one.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Considering this person has just joined the group it does seem quite suspect. I don't doubt that lenses can be found in a garbage bin, but if you bought some lenses at an estate sale and plan on selling them on the auction site then just say so. Honesty is still the best policy.

I'll give you twice what you paid for them!