Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lens Values

Lens Values

I am preparing to sell some cameras & lenses and in my attempt to determine rational pricing I am encountering some serious discrepancies in the interpretations of lens value... to the extent of 10x differences. Also, I have some gear that has not had similar recent sales on any of the usual sites.

So..... here is what I am wondering about this afternoon...

On one of the company sites where you plug in your info and they give you a 'buy price' my 180/5.6 Symmar-S came up at about $40... however someone on the auction site was selling one at close to $600.

I need some assistance... just general $ values for a few lenses to start:

Symmar - S 5.6/180 in Compur 1... absolutely mint condition... on Sinar board

Rodenstock Grandagon 4.5/90 in Copal 1 ... absolutely mint condition... on Sinar board

Computar 9/240 barrel absolutely mint.

12 inch Dagor with a 'chip' on the edge the size of a baby tooth... does not seem to effect contrast strangely enough... in a Ilex shutter.

Just want to make sure when I list my gear it is fair pricing... Thanks!!

Also, is there a way to just search the 'For Sale' section of the forum?

Re: Lens Values

Only reliable sources are sold items list in ebay and the soft focus sales list at CCHarrison's website. I am sure you will find most of these there. Don't be influenced by the listers who have "sucker" prices for items. There are an increasing number of listers who "try it on" with fantasy prices which they repeat month after month and year after year.

To search a forum, go to that forum, ie For Sale. Then on the right side there is a "search forum" drop down link/box.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

I was hoping another reliable source would be the members of the forum!

Jon ... thanks!

Eric Biggerstaff

Another good source is KEH, it provides a pretty good example of current market price for lenses based on condition.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Annie M. View Post
    ... however someone on the auction site was selling one at close to $600.
    If you watch that item for a while you'll probably discover that nobody is buying at that price, and the lens is getting listed and re-listed without any interest. As someone else already said -- completed price is the only one to pay attention to.

KEH is an excellent source, but you must remember it is a highly regarded organization, which you are not. No matter how honest you are, you can not compete with such a seller as far as price until you have sold hindreds or thousands of items.

Actually I am a highly regarded disorganization!

Which adds to your charm!

It is difficult to give values here because there is a lot of flux in prices (in and out of fashion) so it is only the lenses we actually own that get registered in our failing memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Annie M. View Post
    I am preparing to sell some cameras & lenses and in my attempt to determine rational pricing I am encountering some serious discrepancies in the interpretations of lens value... to the extent of 10x differences. Also, I have some gear that has not had similar recent sales on any of the usual sites.

So..... here is what I am wondering about this afternoon...

On one of the company sites where you plug in your info and they give you a 'buy price' my 180/5.6 Symmar-S came up at about $40... however someone on the auction site was selling one at close to $600.

I need some assistance... just general $ values for a few lenses to start:

Symmar - S 5.6/180 in Compur 1... absolutely mint condition... on Sinar board

Rodenstock Grandagon 4.5/90 in Copal 1 ... absolutely mint condition... on Sinar board

Computar 9/240 barrel absolutely mint.

12 inch Dagor with a 'chip' on the edge the size of a baby tooth... does not seem to effect contrast strangely enough... in a Ilex shutter.

Just want to make sure when I list my gear it is fair pricing... Thanks!!

Also, is there a way to just search the 'For Sale' section of the forum?
    FWIW, if they were mine, I'd try to get $255 for the 180, $585 for the 4.5 90 $425 for the f9 240, and whether the Dagor is coated / late is a big deal, albeit the chip will equalize a lot of that difference. Maybe $325 for a chipped Dagor?? I may be wrong on some of these. I don't follow modern lenses like I do the soft ones. Trends go hot and cold. The f9 240's used to be HOT. Don't know right now. Good luck.