Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: A philosophical question about the # of lenses in your pack

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lightbulb A philosophical question about the # of lenses in your pack

Let's say you're hiking into one of your favorite landscapes – camera, lens, film in pack, tripod in hand, high confidence in tow.

You're in a great mood . The dawning day promises good light. You have all the time you need for shooting, plus more to spare. You haven't arrived yet, so it's too early to start looking for shots. But deep down, you know plenty of shots will be there. After all, a lot of care and consideration went into the number of lenses in your pack. Then a moment of pause. A curious question comes to mind. Will this choice of glass – this well-considered choice – really influence the number of compositions that will be possible for you to capture and take home?

Hiking on, two ideas, honed for simplicity, occur to you and seem to clash – yet you're aware that each idea has its supporters – and you grow curious about "which side" you're on, which idea makes more sense:

#1: There is a clear relationship between the number of focal lengths in my pack and the number of compositions that will be possible for me to capture.

#2: The number of compositions that will be possible for me to capture has no relationship to the number of focal lengths in my pack (i.e., one or more).

Just as you arrive at your location, your doubts give way to clarity. Good timing!

But tell us – what did you decide and why?

-----
    Note: This might betray me as a #2 person, but I started writing this about my belief that a single lens kit, whether by choice or economic necessity, makes for a liberating field experience, not a restrictive one. ;^)

Re: A philosophical question about the # of lenses in your pack

"Seeing" images comes before any other consideration. Equipment choice is the last consideration.

Also #2. There are an infinite number of possible images available at any time, anywhere (as Ray said -- it is just a matter of 'seeing' them). Using only one lens, one format, one film type, or any other "limiting' factors still leaves an infinite number of images available. Taking multiple lenses, multiple formats, different types of film, etc does not increase the number of possible images...it is still infinite. How one wishes to work determines the number of lenses, etc, one takes on one's hike.

I have never felt limited by having a one-lens kit...and photographed for over 25 years with only one lens per kit (moving from Rolleiflex to 4x5 to 5x7 to 8x10). For the last ten years I have added a few more lenses to the 8x10 kit, and have a few lenses for the 11x14 kit. The rate of the number of images I make remains about the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    Let's say you're hiking into one of your favorite landscapes – camera, lens, film in pack, tripod in hand, high confidence in tow.

You're in a great mood . The dawning day promises good light. You have all the time you need for shooting, plus more to spare. You haven't arrived yet, so it's too early to start looking for shots. But deep down, you know plenty of shots will be there. After all, a lot of care and consideration went into the number of lenses in your pack. Then a moment of pause. A curious question comes to mind. Will this choice of glass – this well-considered choice – really influence the number of compositions that will be possible for you to capture and take home?

Hiking on, two ideas, honed for simplicity, occur to you and seem to clash – yet you're aware that each idea has its supporters – and you grow curious about "which side" you're on, which idea makes more sense:

#1: There is a clear relationship between the number of focal lengths in my pack and the number of compositions that will be possible for me to capture.

#2: The number of compositions that will be possible for me to capture has no relationship to the number of focal lengths in my pack (i.e., one or more).

Just as you arrive at your location, your doubts give way to clarity. Good timing!

But tell us – what did you decide and why?

-----
    Note: This might betray me as a #2 person, but I started writing this about my belief that a single lens kit, whether by choice or economic necessity, makes for a liberating field experience, not a restrictive one. ;^)
    I use convertible lenses so carry only a couple but have at least four focal lengths to choose from.

RR

The number of images is directly proportional to the number of lenses, but probably infinite in every case.

Composition and aspect ratio are independent of lens choice

I'm definitely in camp 2.

For me, the subject and how I want to present it determine the framing and aspect ratio. I find the camera position which gives me the perspective I want and then, often with the aid of a viewing frame or filter, determine the framing I want. I use the closest focal length lens that includes all the image I want but does not crop any of it away. When printing, I simply crop to get the original composition I wanted.

I don't believe that the world comes in any particular "view" or aspect ratio. My composing of a photograph is about spaces and proportions that derive from, and accentuate, the subject itself and the particular emotions/concepts I am trying to communicate. I do try to use as much of the negative as possible, for quality reasons, but I have no compunction about cropping down to 6x7 cm, or shooting a panorama 6x12 or 5x12 on 4x5 inch film if that's what I want. I believe the "full-frame" mentality (and the black borders to prove it) is pretentious and artistically impoverished.

My lens kit(s), therefore, is designed to give me the greatest possibility to optimize quality (i.e., crop as little as possible) while still giving me both very wide and very narrow angles of view so I have the greatest potential for composing and framing. I would rather crop a bit than not get a shot, so, when in doubt about which lenses to take, I'll err on the side of too wide (I can always crop a 240mm image to 300mm, but not vice-versa).

My typical field kit for 4x5 (for long day hikes and backpacking) is 90mm f/8 Super Angulon, 135mm WF Ektar, 203mm Ektar and 300mm Nikkor M. If I have more room, or a partner willing to carry a lens or so along (which is most of the time) I'll include a 240mm Fujinon A as well. If I know I'll need a wider view (say in narrow canyons or close city environments) I'll leave the 300mm behind and take a 75mm instead. Then I usually leave the 90mm behind too and take a 100mm WF Ektar (75mm, 100mm, 135mm, 203mm 240mm). I usually always have lenses from 75mm to 450mm in the car, and can tailor the kit as needed for the anticipated subject matter.

That said, I end up shooting mostly with the 135mm, with the 90mm and the 203mm close behind, so these I would take if limited to only three lenses. Five lightweight lenses, however, does not place an undue weight burden on me, and that's the number I usually have with me.

Best,

Doremus

If you are trying to get things right in camera and dont like do portions/cropping/stitching - you are forced to use range of FL. If you are ok with those - you can do fine with single.

Quote Originally Posted by SergeiR View Post
    If you are trying to get things right in camera and dont like do portions/cropping/stitching - you are forced to use range of FL. If you are ok with those - you can do fine with single.
    My experience has been 100% in the opposite direction, but of course it is not the only direction that is possible for photographers to go. I do not crop/stitch/dodge/burn. Just the way I work. My images are a synergy between Seeing, landscape, light, equipment, and process. Working with all these elements to create something that is greater than the sum of the parts.

Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    My experience has been 100% in the opposite direction, but of course it is not the only direction that is possible for photographers to go. I do not crop/stitch/dodge/burn. Just the way I work. My images are a synergy between Seeing, landscape, light, equipment, and process. Working with all these elements to create something that is greater than the sum of the parts.

Vaughn
    I agree, I try to create the full image properly and not do any post work.

But I think everyone is missing the "big picture" which is, you can make infinite images with one lens at a given location, but .... How many GOOD images, and how many GREAT images can you truly make when limited to a single lens.

I try to at least have 2, a telephoto, and a wide.

You can ALMOST always back up to get a "normal" shot with a telephoto, but you can't really get a wide scene without a wide lens.

And again, what will make a great shot?

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post

Vaughn
    Thing is - your eye doesnt see as camera. So sometime while you think that that lonely crooked tree 500 yards away looks awesome - it doesnt look quite right on camera. So you walk towards it.. but then you hitting lovely unpassable creek. Then what you do? Longer lens would allow you to get "closer". Cropping out would do so as well.

I.e i do not knock walking and seeing things with single angle. I often do so to challenge myself. But it doesnt mean there are cases when i am going "ohgoddammit... " B/c i hate cropping. With passion.