Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Scanners

Re: Scanners

Isn't the wet mounting attachment 8x10? Can't you lay the film in that?

I'll have to check when I get home but I could have sworn it was the same size as the film area guide.

And I use that wet mount all the time to scan off size film I don't have a holder for like 127 or 70mm/116

If the film is curly I lay ANR glass on top to keep it flat.

You wouldn't need the ANR for sheet film so you wouldn't have to worry about newton rings because there wouldn't be enough pressure against the glass to cause them (in my experience they only show up when you really press hard with that holder.

Am I totally off base here?

Wet-mounting attachment allows you to mount the film on scanner's bed, so anyway low-resolution lens must be used. Hi-resolution one would be out of focus (and wouldn't cover 8" anyway).

With a specific film (Wephota FO5) I got NR even when the film was just laying on the glass, emulsion down. Therefore I did my EvenBetterScanning undermounting holder:
    || Cezary Żemis <cezary.zemis@pronet.pl> | www.cezaryzemis.name
    || ph.:+420 605 560 885|ph.:+48 794 337 097

I have a HP G4050 which you can buy for £200 and has a holder for 4x5. It is not a great scanner but good enough to preview a negative, and for web use and small enlargements. It is not good enough for critical work but is good enough to let you whether you've got a good neg or not. One word of warning - the software bundled with it is appalling so budget for a copy of vuescan.

Quote Originally Posted by pasiasty View Post
    Wet-mounting attachment allows you to mount the film on scanner's bed, so anyway low-resolution lens must be used. Hi-resolution one would be out of focus (and wouldn't cover 8" anyway).

With a specific film (Wephota FO5) I got NR even when the film was just laying on the glass, emulsion down. Therefore I did my EvenBetterScanning undermounting holder:
    But the wet mount holder is raised and is the same height as the middle height for the holders?

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    But the wet mount holder is raised and is the same height as the middle height for the holders?
    You're right, I'm wrong. But this means wet mounting is up to about 140 mm (5 1/2") wide.

Quote Originally Posted by pasiasty View Post
    You're right, I'm wrong. But this means wet mounting is up to about 140 mm (5 1/2") wide.
    I'm sure you're correct, I'll have to measure when I get home, I could have sworn the glass size in the wet mount was the same as the film area guide.

How good is Scitex EverSmart Jazz+ ?? in comparison to the epson v700 for 4x5 and 120 negs ?

Epson Expression 11000XL- Photo Scanner and how this one in comparison to the epson v700 ?

On an Epson 4990 or V700 - does anyone know how to position an 8x10 negative so that all borders show in preview and scan?

I've tried to find some method, but mostly have been unsuccessful. It may take 10 or more preview scans to get close, which is very frustrating.

It seems possible, only because I believe I have seen others achieve it, but with no tolerance for error, it has to be exact, or you will miss, or cut a border.

I imagine it could be different for different emulsions even - depending on the method, e.g. align this notch here.

I think for 8x10, wet mounting on the glass will yield the the best results on these Epson flatbeds due to the focus of the bottom lens which expects the film to be glass level?

I believe if it's dry mounted and raised above the glass you will be focussing to some extent via unsharp mask (not that there's anything wrong with that ).

Unfortunately wet mounting on these is messy, risks damaging the scanner, and takes the patience and skill I have not yet achieved

For V700/750 - anywhere within 'Film Area Guide'. I'm afraid it is not possible to properly scan 8x10 using wet mounting accessory, as the accessory requires setting document type to 'Film (with Film Holder)' and then you are limited to about 140mm wide.