Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scanners

Scanners

Hello Everyone

I want to get a scanner for my 4x5 b&w negatives, scanning in labs is what i do now , most of the place i go to use Scitex or a drum scanner.

I was wondering what is possible to buy today beside the hasselblad flextight X1 or the X5. Is there any other (cheaper ) solution ?

thank you

Re: Scanners

Many people (including me) use Epson V700/V750.
    || Cezary Żemis <cezary.zemis@pronet.pl> | www.cezaryzemis.name
    || ph.:+420 605 560 885|ph.:+48 794 337 097

For 4x5 the EPSON V700 is perfectly fine. The ordinary holders that come with it are very good for 4x5, no need for any more expensive holders. BUT if you do use 120 as well then you will get better results with 120 if you get a Better Scanning holder with the two ANR glasses. For 4x5 the standard EPSON holder is all you need.

RR

I've been quite pleased with the results from my Epson V750, scanning film from 35mm through 8x10.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

With the 750 running around $800 and a used Howtek 4500 drum running around $1500, it's a no brainer for me. I will always choose the drum scanner… Twice as much but still a relatively small amount of money when you consider having other people do the scans for you. Nothing like having a sharp image come out of your scanner…

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    With the 750 running around $800 and a used Howtek 4500 drum running around $1500, it's a no brainer for me. I will always choose the drum scanner… Twice as much but still a relatively small amount of money when you consider having other people do the scans for you. Nothing like having a sharp image come out of your scanner…

Lenny
    100% agree
    Flatbeds(of any derivation, from a 750 up to an Iqsmart/Eversmart Supreme II) can deliver great results, but the cleanest/clearest scans I've ever had have been from my drum scanner, wet mounted.
    Having both options is nice though, if you can afford both. Proof/preview on the flatbed, then final scan on the drum.
    -Dan

I use a point and shoot to reverse b&w negs if I really can't tell if I want to print it. Since I have a drum scanner, like yourself, I put things on there all the time just to look at them… Then I don't have to mount it twice, once on the flatbed, another time on the drum scanner.

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

The V750 is pretty good, there's a learning curve, and agree 4x5's holders are decently nice, but betterscanning holders and ANR glass for 120 definitely.

I do wish I could easily scan the whole image though including the frame lines, it's just not as sharp as the holders, more chance of Newton Rings etc if put right on the glass

How do you get frame lines from a scan?

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    The V750 is pretty good, there's a learning curve, and agree 4x5's holders are decently nice, but betterscanning holders and ANR glass for 120 definitely.

I do wish I could easily scan the whole image though including the frame lines, it's just not as sharp as the holders, more chance of Newton Rings etc if put right on the glass

How do you get frame lines from a scan?
    I've given up on getting the frame lines and have just gotten used to it that way.

RR

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post

Lenny
    For the drum scanning, wouldn't the learning curve be rather steep for someone new to it? Given the prices they are tempting, but I am not sure if I can get the knowledge required to run it easily enough!