Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Where to go in Europe in the Winter?

Re: Where to go in Europe in the Winter?

Quote Originally Posted by soeren View Post
    And have some beer eh A Geuze??
    Best regards
    Go for the best: either Westmalle or Lindemans Kriek :-). For "normal" beer: Jupiler or Hoegaards Witbier ("Witte van Hoegaarden"). A Geuze is indeed also very good.

In Louvain, there's a new bar The Capital with 2500 different beers and working for more than 3000 http://www.beer.be/the-capital-leuve...es-a-la-carte/

Stefan

Cityscapes and landscapes in one place - hard to find. If the first - go to Budapest, however I don't know how it looks with mugging (there's many homeless and sometimes strange people on the streets). If the latter - go to North-East Poland (Masuria, Malbork Castle-the biggest castle of the world, I think, Suwalszczyzna - Stanczyki railway viaducts, Bialowieza Forest with the biggest herds of bison in Europe). But this only with a car (in some places 4x4 recommended) and good snowboots, so probably doesn't meet your expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by murr View Post
    Cityscapes and landscapes in one place - hard to find. If the first - go to Budapest, however I don't know how it looks with mugging (there's many homeless and sometimes strange people on the streets). If the latter - go to North-East Poland (Masuria, Malbork Castle-the biggest castle of the world, I think, Suwalszczyzna - Stanczyki railway viaducts, Bialowieza Forest with the biggest herds of bison in Europe). But this only with a car (in some places 4x4 recommended) and good snowboots, so probably doesn't meet your expectations.
    And lakes, of course - about 2000 of them in this region. Plus quite a unique system of channels connecting some of the lakes.

Quote Originally Posted by gliderbee View Post
    Go for the best: either Westmalle or Lindemans Kriek :-). For "normal" beer: Jupiler or Hoegaards Witbier ("Witte van Hoegaarden"). A Geuze is indeed also very good.

In Louvain, there's a new bar The Capital with 2500 different beers and working for more than 3000 http://www.beer.be/the-capital-leuve...es-a-la-carte/

Stefan
    Leuven??? I might go there in may next year on a three day event, if my bosses at work and at home agree its a good idea
    Best regards
    Søren Nielsen

Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Quote Originally Posted by soeren View Post
    Leuven??? I might go there in may next year on a three day event, if my bosses at work and at home agree its a good idea
    Best regards
    be sure to let me know then, so we can arrange a meeting.

Stefan.

The problem with renting a car and driving in the UK if you aren't from there is it's easy to get killed. Everything is backwards and when you have to make a split second decision, your instincts will be exactly wrong. I drove the back roads, but when I had to drive around Glasgow and London, I took a train or a cab. My thinking for winter is probably Scotland with its moody light, even though the residents of Reykjavik seemed to speak clearer English. I am not afraid of the short hours of daylight because I, Brassai, am a night photographer.

If you're going to visit northern England or Scotland, I recommend doing it in summer. Winter here is constant terrible light,maybe one day in ten has good light, rest of the time it's blanket gray, dull.

In Spain best places to visit in winter are :
    Sevilla
    Granada
    Cordoba
    Never do it in summer !

Good luck,
    Igor.

From London to Paris you have the TGV, thence the high speed train from Paris to Barcelona is just inaugurated (it takes about six hours to arrive). From Barcelona you can fly easily to Ibiza which is a gorgeous and quiet delight in January, with a superb quality of light. To return to London, you can fly directly from Ibiza to London.

Come to north wales get a hire car and a few maps and just drive about