Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C-41 from CatLabs

Analog Photographer Kimberly Anderson's Avatar

C-41 from CatLabs

I ordered the C-41 kit from CatLabs a few weeks ago and have processed about 30 rolls of 35 and 120 film and six sheets of 4x5. I've mixed up two separate batches of chemistry and I must say that it is VERY easy to do. The instructions are FOOL-PROOF. The chems are sweet and the color film looks wonderful. I am processing in a JOBO machine and again, the system is of course perfect. The CatLabs kit takes the mystery and hype out of C-41 processing (wow, that sounds like some kind of ad copy...). In fact doing C-41 in many ways is easier and quicker than when I develop my own Pyro.

I'm scanning with an Eversmart II.

Portra 400 shot at 200. Linhof Tech III, Xenotar 135 3.5 wide open.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	barlow_christinewedontsmile.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	103202

Re: C-41 from CatLabs

Looks good

I have been using fuji C41 on the new Jobo that I bought from CatLabs , works very well in a one shot fashion.

I'll have to look into pricing; on APUG, the distributor said the cost of shipping (to Canada) might negate any savings on the kit.
    I'm still happy getting the powdered Tetenal kit from B&H, but if there's a way to get the CatLabs stuff for any cheaper, I would switch.

Analog Photographer Kimberly Anderson's Avatar

I am running 3-shots with the developer. CatLabs provides a formula to compensate for each run with the developer. There's also a good push formula as well. I did a 2-stop push with some 120 film and the negs look perfect. A little punchy, but that's to be expected from a 2-stop push with Portra 160.

I double shot the Bleach and The Fix, worked very well, the Dev is just a dump.

I have a Fuji account so getting the supplies is easy.
    This is a very smart initiative by Catlabs to make it available in small kits.

Quote Originally Posted by michael slade View Post
    I am running 3-shots with the developer. CatLabs provides a formula to compensate for each run with the developer. There's also a good push formula as well. I did a 2-stop push with some 120 film and the negs look perfect. A little punchy, but that's to be expected from a 2-stop push with Portra 160.

I use dev one-shot as well. The only thing I recycle is bleach. but in general, bleach is the most expensive part of the process. Good to know more people are doing their own C-41!

Is the catlabs kit fuji or kodak chem?

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Looks good

I have been using fuji C41 on the new Jobo that I bought from CatLabs , works very well in a one shot fashion.
    Bob, how are you liking the CPP3 and how easy is it to menu dive the settings? I like the idea of it but love the dedicated knobs for temp, rpm, etc on my CPP2.

Quote Originally Posted by frotog View Post
    Is the catlabs kit fuji or kodak chem?
    Neither

Hmm. Probably Champion or Trebla then. If anything else, I'd avoid it.