Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LF Street Setup

LF Street Setup

I shoot some street photos occasionally with a rangefinder Tech V and a Norman strobe if I need it, but I saw a couple of guys on the NYC subway this morning with a great setup.

Looked like a Toyo 45CF with a Grafmatic in the back on a monopod, small strobe attached to the monopod with a radio slave, presumably as the fill light. The other guy had another monopod or maybe it was a small light stand with two small strobes, presumably as the main light. I couldn't see exactly from where I was standing, but it looked like they may have had a string tied to the monopod for focusing at a preset distance. I was rushing off to work and didn't have a moment to chat, but I could at least give them a thumbs up for having a creative way to do LF in the city. Of course the idea of having an assistant with a light on a stick is nothing new but seeing someone out there on the subway today with a 4x5" camera on a monopod seems like a reason for optimism.

Re: LF Street Setup

Good idea, young guys?

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    I shoot some street photos occasionally with a rangefinder Tech V and a Norman strobe if I need it, but I saw a couple of guys on the NYC subway this morning with a great setup.

Looked like a Toyo 45CF with a Grafmatic in the back on a monopod, small strobe attached to the monopod with a radio slave, presumably as the fill light. The other guy had another monopod or maybe it was a small light stand with two small strobes, presumably as the main light. I couldn't see exactly from where I was standing, but it looked like they may have had a string tied to the monopod for focusing at a preset distance. I was rushing off to work and didn't have a moment to chat, but I could at least give them a thumbs up for having a creative way to do LF in the city. Of course the idea of having an assistant with a light on a stick is nothing new but seeing someone out there on the subway today with a 4x5" camera on a monopod seems like a reason for optimism.

In their 20's I'd guess.

Sounds like they were out-and-in-it . . .and getting the job done!

So then, all of those Polaroid conversions to 4x5 from Littman, Razzle and Alpenhause etc are just not that good for LF in the street? All that drama on the forums back in the 2-K days . . .what a waste! days . . .what a waste!
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

You can say that again, Drew!

It is a wonder that the transit cops did not stop them.

David, if you see them again please stop to interview them then report back here.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    seeing someone out there on the subway today with a 4x5" camera on a monopod seems like a reason for optimism.
    A marvelous blast of sunshine!

I'm guessing the string was more for their flash; keep the subject at a rough pre-determined distance, and no need for flash readings, just shoot!

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    I'm guessing the string was more for their flash; keep the subject at a rough pre-determined distance, and no need for flash readings, just shoot!
    Works for both. Part of the reason Weegee recommended learning how to judge two distances consistently was for both focus and exposure with flashbulbs.

this is wht I built:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...-meet-my-LFPMD

it's a big production number...but LF is..right??

I can move around and shoot 5x7 or hell..8x10 if I wanted and not need an assistant