Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Disaster in Banff... or is it???!! Hand-holding my Chamonix 4x5...

Re: Disaster in Banff... or is it???!! Hand-holding my Chamonix 4x5...

email sent. contact me if you need more help, now or in future.

I took one of my best portraits handheld. It was a little bit of a guess where to point the camera but luckily I was using Fujiroids (FP3000BW) and so could re-adjust and shoot. As a result of that, which I did enjoy, I've bought a Linhof zoom viewfinder and I plan to do more handheld photography with my 4x5 (a Toyo 45AX). I really enjoyed the freedom.

....sounds like the disaster was not in Banff at all but en route ;-) Enjoy the area. On the topic of loaner tripods I'm glad some members here have been able to help you. It's worth remembering that camera store employees in a tourist town are...employees. In this digital age I'd doubt that many even own a tripod. I hope your visit works out despite the loss of your gear.

It looks as though Hans has your back, but I would second the gallery/museum connections locally. I was once able to locate a loaner light meter in Stanley, Idaho through the local historical museum (I later repaid the kindness with a one–off, really limited edition GSP of Sawtooth Lake and Mt. Regan).

DavidE

Quote Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
    Sorry to hear about the missing bags, I'd be steamed as well. Surely Qantas should be able to trace the bags through to LAX, unless they were pilfered as you think might have happened.

If you were in Toronto, you could have borrowed one of mine. Hopefully a member in Calgary can help out.
    Hi Fred,

thanks for your message - more frustrated than steamed I guess. Such an unnecessary waste. Hopefully - if the goods have been taken - they go to someone who needs them more than me!

If this happens again and I'm in your neck of the woods, I'll be sure to call and the same if you're in Sydney of course!

Cheers,
    David

DavidE

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Berkhout View Post
    email sent. contact me if you need more help, now or in future.
    Hello Hans and many thanks.
    David

DavidE

Quote Originally Posted by welly View Post
    I took one of my best portraits handheld. It was a little bit of a guess where to point the camera but luckily I was using Fujiroids (FP3000BW) and so could re-adjust and shoot. As a result of that, which I did enjoy, I've bought a Linhof zoom viewfinder and I plan to do more handheld photography with my 4x5 (a Toyo 45AX). I really enjoyed the freedom.
    Hi Welly,

it would be great to be able to shoot without a tripod and I may have that chance when I can get organised here! Scheimpflug by hand sounds awfully tricky...

Cheers,
    David

DavidE

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Y View Post
    ....sounds like the disaster was not in Banff at all but en route ;-) Enjoy the area. On the topic of loaner tripods I'm glad some members here have been able to help you. It's worth remembering that camera store employees in a tourist town are...employees. In this digital age I'd doubt that many even own a tripod. I hope your visit works out despite the loss of your gear.
    Hi Greg,

yes, you are right. I shouldn't be too hard on them - perhaps I can blame jet-lag eh?

So far no luck but will keep trying. That hand-holding might soon become a reality for me. Luckily I've been carrying my 18mth old daughter around a lot lately back in Oz - will need the strength I'm sure!

Cheers,
    David

DavidE

Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    It looks as though Hans has your back, but I would second the gallery/museum connections locally. I was once able to locate a loaner light meter in Stanley, Idaho through the local historical museum (I later repaid the kindness with a one–off, really limited edition GSP of Sawtooth Lake and Mt. Regan).
    Had I been more *with-it* yesterday, I would have considered this approach. It's been great wandering around with my Linhof viewfinder in any case - learning to visualise more effectively has been a goal of mine for some time!

Cheers,
    David

Are you travelling on business????