Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What would happen if I used a 240mm enlarging lens to take photos?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What would happen if I used a 240mm enlarging lens to take photos?

Having a good dose of GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome), somewhere along the line I picked up a 240mm enlarging lens along with the Durst mount that it came with.

I don't have a Speed Graphic with focal plane shutter so would have to mount the lens on one of my Cambo 6x6 lens boards then use the old "remove the lens cap" method of exposing.

But before I go through all the time and trouble of adapting the lens to a Cambo board, what kind of image should I expect to get on my negative? Would it be sharp, soft, mushy, what?

Thanks,
    Terry

Re: What would happen if I used a 240mm enlarging lens to take photos?

imho sharp

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTerry View Post
    Having a good dose of GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome), somewhere along the line I picked up a 240mm enlarging lens along with the Durst mount that it came with.

I don't have a Speed Graphic with focal plane shutter so would have to mount the lens on one of my Cambo 6x6 lens boards then use the old "remove the lens cap" method of exposing.

But before I go through all the time and trouble of adapting the lens to a Cambo board, what kind of image should I expect to get on my negative? Would it be sharp, soft, mushy, what?

Thanks,
    Terry
    Tin Can

Update:
    Schneider-Kreuznach Componon f:5.6 / 240 #58606xx

My notes say it came from a Las Vegas photo lab that went out of business. It was used to enlarge 8x10 film. I bought the lens in 2005 for US $45 + shipping to Atlanta.

Bargain

Update:
    Schneider-Kreuznach Componon f:5.6 / 240 #58606xx

My notes say it came from a Las Vegas photo lab that went out of business. It was used to enlarge 8x10 film. I bought the lens in 2005 for US $45 + shipping to Atlanta.
    Tin Can

Adequate but not near what a 240mm taking lens of equal quality would deliver.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    Adequate but not near what a 240mm taking lens of equal quality would deliver.
    Bob,

I thought that might be the case. Since I already have a nice Tele-Congo 240mm f6.3 then I won't mess with this for now.

When you say "adequate" I wonder how it would look if I wanted a Pictorial or soft focus image. Now where did I put that Packard shutter...?

Thanks.
    Terry

Bob,
    ...When you say "adequate" I wonder how it would look if I wanted a Pictorial or soft focus image...
    Terry
    If you expect painterly or pictorial effects then you will be disappointed. Most older enlarging lenses will flare more than taking lenses, but not in a dramatic way.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post
    If you expect painterly or pictorial effects then you will be disappointed. Most older enlarging lenses will flare more than taking lenses, but not in a dramatic way.
    I am working on a series of portraits that would really look good with a pictorial / soft focus lens on my 4x5 Cambo but I really can't afford to buy another lens.

I am working on a series of portraits that would really look good with a pictorial / soft focus lens on my 4x5 Cambo but I really can't afford to buy another lens.
    For pictorial effects, check out the inexpensive lenses made by Reinhold; http://www.re-inventedphotoequip.com/Home.html
    There are several examples in other threads.

Cool beans. Thanks.