Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Kickstarter Projects--No Longer Posted Here

Re: Kickstarter Projects

And, what is the problem with "handouts" (the perjorative term used by naysayers) ... or donations, or gifts, or investments, or contributions, or ...... whatever???

At least with Kickstarter you get to see the proposal, the time for soliciting is strictly limited, if they don't get the requested funds they are sent packing, and there are benefits for those who contribute ... from feeling like part of an interesting project to actually receiving a concrete reward.

I've contributed to two ...

The first was a young lady in Portland, Oregon who wanted to convert a small trailer into a wet-plate dark room to take it on the road ... I loved the idea, she completed the project, and a young person is on the road in LF photography ... and I got a really nice 8x10 salt print of kites on the beach out of the whole deal ... and a large dose of self-satisfaction ... here's the link for the project: LINK Now, all I have to do is convince her to bring it to Tonapah next October for a workshop!

The 2d was a little crazier but, hey, it's fun to be crazy once in a while ... a 1-year walk across the U.S., by a 22 year-old Yale grad ("Yale grad" added some controversy all by itself), photographing with a 4x5 and maintaining a vow of silence ... that one raised a lot of comment, pro and con. In spite of all the negative comments ... which actually made the whole affair more fun ... it got funded and he has completed about 1200 miles and 2.5 mos. of his journey. My reward for my contribution ... I get to follow his adventures for a year online and I get another 8x10 photo after he's done. Here's a link to the discussion on this forum: LINK

So, if you're feeling curmudgeonly and trying to get yourself off the couch to take a picture ... go to Kickstarter.com ... click on the photography section and start reading all of the great, not-so-great, and truly lousy ideas people have for taking pictures ... you just might get inspired!

We need fewer curmudgeons and more dreamers ... and a "Thanks" to the moderators for taking an open view of these posts.

Me too. I have a superlative Clay Harmon print and soon a Wanderlust 4x5 camera from kickstarter, and the only salt print I have ever seen except my own from a fundraiser on another site. All positive.

More dreamers and less naysayers are always a better option. Negative peer pressure is a terrible waste.

Dream big, life is short.
    Tin Can

I have supported two Kickstarters and think it's a great way to raise money for a worthy project. My first was the Wanderlust 4x5 which I am really looking forward to getting and because I'm a coffee lover, I supported the Espro Press Medium which makes the best french press coffee I've ever had. Almost zero sediment and it's insulated to keep the second cup nice and hot while you drink the first. Pretty, too! This is the link:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bruceconstantine/the-medium-espro-press?ref=live"]http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bruceconstantine/the-medium-espro-press?ref=live"]http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bruceconstantine/the-medium-espro-press?ref=live

I will provide more Kickstarter support in the future.
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ

perhaps those you of fortunate enough to not need income from their art, or not have art as their primary career, are not aware of the dramatically declining opportunities in this culture and economy for artists. Kickstarter has become a new way to make work happen, that otherwise simply has to be abandoned. I just completed one that will finally allow me to complete an edition of an important body of work (to me), and when all is done, I will have made nothing, but I will have completed the work. In exchange the people who have supported are getting stunning prints for a deeply discounted price, and seem thrilled to take part. I suggest those of you expressing opinions about handouts or begging rethink your positions, and realize artists these days need all the support they can muster. If the project has no merit or nothing to offer supporters, it will probably fail anyway. Many of my supporters were photographers, we've always supported each other, buy books, attend events, and buy work when we can. Unfortunately I was not able to put my project in front of some communities because of these kinds of restrictions. I hate being marketed at, and walked a fine line between harrassment and politely informing, it was not fun, we'd all rather just do our work.
    I think it would be wonderful if this forum started a category for Kickstarter announcements, those who may be offended need never look there. The rest of us can look there to support or friends, and the arts.
    Tyler

+1

Many I know use KS or similar successfully, and they do need outreach, in all venues.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Boley View Post
    perhaps those you of fortunate enough to not need income from their art, or not have art as their primary career, are not aware of the dramatically declining opportunities in this culture and economy for artists. Kickstarter has become a new way to make work happen, that otherwise simply has to be abandoned. I just completed one that will finally allow me to complete an edition of an important body of work (to me), and when all is done, I will have made nothing, but I will have completed the work. In exchange the people who have supported are getting stunning prints for a deeply discounted price, and seem thrilled to take part. I suggest those of you expressing opinions about handouts or begging rethink your positions, and realize artists these days need all the support they can muster. If the project has no merit or nothing to offer supporters, it will probably fail anyway. Many of my supporters were photographers, we've always supported each other, buy books, attend events, and buy work when we can. Unfortunately I was not able to put my project in front of some communities because of these kinds of restrictions. I hate being marketed at, and walked a fine line between harrassment and politely informing, it was not fun, we'd all rather just do our work.
    I think it would be wonderful if this forum started a category for Kickstarter announcements, those who may be offended need never look there. The rest of us can look there to support or friends, and the arts.
    Tyler
    I agree with Tyler here in that it would be nice to see a Kickstarter category for all things photographic, regardless of it being LF. I have supported several Kickstarter programs (including Tyler's) and have enjoyed the benefits and experience of doing so. So maybe the powers that be will consider a Kickstarter section, that way you can decide whether to check or not, much like the Lounge, For Sale, etc. I enjoy helping those photo projects I deem worthy, and also enjoy the benefits received from such projects. Looking forward to the Wanderlust when it makes it into my hands.

Well said Tyler. At this point KS projects are a fact of life for artists and should be treated as such here. Give them there own sub-forum.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I think Kickstarter is a Godsend. Now artists have another option for funding rather than going through all the red tape to obtain government grants (a very political game!). I supported the Wanderlust, I'll support more and perhaps one day soon, I'll put out my own project. A sub-forum would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    I think Kickstarter is a Godsend. Now artists have another option for funding rather than going through all the red tape to obtain government grants (a very political game!). I supported the Wanderlust, I'll support more and perhaps one day soon, I'll put out my own project. A sub-forum would be good.
    I've successfully done many government grants but no KS projects-though I have helped (beyond just contributing) with some that have failed and some that have succeeded spectacularly. One example of a gov grant, I once got a 25k NEA grant to fund a project photographing historic NM churches. My proposal with examples ran 100 pages. But I don't think KS projects are all that much different than getting government grants in terms of sheer effort. Nor are they "gameless". Having watched and helped a number of friends do them, some successful and some not, its obvious (to me at least) that there are a lot of games to be played with peoples perceptions of the project and the perception of the originator-marketing games. I've seen damn good projects fail like the one from the Eastern Sierra Center for Photography and patently frivolous ones succeed. And all the massaging of incentives to keep interest up is not unlike red tape in sheer tedium.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"