Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new LF camera owner

new LF camera owner

Hi
    I just bought a RHS Model A 4x5 LF camera and have several questions. I bought it with a damaged lens, so the price I paid reflects that. I need new lens not too expensive 150 dollars maybe? something that would be considered a standard lens. I also need film holders. Does this camera take standard film holders or do I need specific ones for this model? Can I use any modern holders? What I worry about is the distance from the back to the film plane, since that has to match what is projected on the ground glass. Thank you.

Re: new LF camera owner

Any lens between 150-210mm is "normal" for a 4x5. Have a look at this list of modern lenses, pretty much anything here in that focal length range will work: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...s/LF4x5in.html The main consideration for you will be price and max aperture - you're choices are from F5.6 up to F9. If you have a good ground glass with a Fresnel and if you don't plan on a lot of dawn/dusk shooting then F8 or F9 would be fine. Another consideration is the filter ring size. Typically the F8/9 lenses have a filter size of 52mm and the F5.6 of 67mm but there are exceptions to the rule of thumb. If you have a lot of filters of one size or the other I would standardize on it. Personally, I really like the Nikkor and Fujinon lenses. It's fairly easy to put together a nice three lens set with modern coatings that give good performance for color and B&W film. Maybe one each in the 90-125mm, 135-240mm and 300-450mm ranges. Remember bellows draw may limit you at the short and longer ends.

Here is another source of reviews on lenses, worth a read: http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/future.htm

Not sure what holders work with your camera but I swear by the more expensive Toyo holders - they are very precise and easy to load. Might be worth buying these new if you have the money since they are critical to a good focus.

now how about a way to mount those? Can I use the board from my current lens or do different lenses call for different boards? and how do I know one will fit my camera and other will not?

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Bochenek View Post
    now how about a way to mount those? Can I use the board from my current lens or do different lenses call for different boards? and how do I know one will fit my camera and other will not?
    It all depends on the size hole needed for your new lens. Tell us which lens you already have and if you know, what size shutter it's in and maybe we can give you a better idea.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

The camera came with Wollensak lens, but I'm eyeing a nice Nikkor 210mm.

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

no, this is what I got, and the more I look at it the more I want to get the lens fixed, Its shutter is slow and the lens has some edge separation. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$T2eC16FHJIIFHJG5sli0BSM15lPVV!~~60_57.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	102174

Modern lenses, like the Nikkor 210mm, pretty much all come in a copal shutter. Look at the first link I shared above. There are three sizes of lens board holes - 0, 1 and 3 with 0 the smallest.

To get you going pick up some sheet film holders via eBay. There are a bunch of them now that are up for bid.

I prefer to buy used plastic ones because I was told that wooden film holders can warp.

Once you get a couple film holders do you know how to load film? It is easy to learn. If you want some useless sheets of film to practice loading with shoot me a PM with a mailing address (USA only, please).

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTerry View Post
    To get you going pick up some sheet film holders via eBay. There are a bunch of them now that are up for bid.

I prefer to buy used plastic ones because I was told that wooden film holders can warp.

Once you get a couple film holders do you know how to load film? It is easy to learn. If you want some useless sheets of film to practice loading with shoot me a PM with a mailing address (USA only, please).
    Yes. I know how to load LF. I use Graflex RB ccamera. This one is a little different animal that's why I have been asking all those questions.