Thread: epson 11000xl feedback wanted & how much better is a Cezanne, IQsmart or Lanovia?

epson 11000xl feedback wanted & how much better is a Cezanne, IQsmart or Lanovia?

Hi All,
    I'm looking for a large flatbed scanner. Haven't had any luck finding a used Screen Cezanne, Lanovia Quattro, or IQSmart3 and am thinking about an epson 11000xl. Just wondering what your feedback is on that one and how it would stack up?

Mostly I want to scan my negatives but also larger prints and artwork. I have not used any of the above, but have been using my Rolleiflex with digital back for reproduction. One other thing I hope to get from a scanner is software that will help get me better color out of the gate than with the digital copy route for my negs - mostly portra and ektar 120, 4x5 and 5x7.

Thanks,
    Eric

Re: epson 11000xl feedback wanted & how much better is a Cezanne, IQsmart or Lanovia

I have an LS-9000 for up to medium format negs, a V700 for 617 and 4x5 and a 11000 (with a broken transparency unit) for calligraphy. My feeling is that 4x5 and 5x7, the V700 would give you "competent" scans, i.e. I have consistently produce quality prints of 17x22 from 4x5 scanned suing the V700. For larger enlargements, I would guess that the higher priced scanners would offer more.

As the transparency unit on my 11000 is broken, I cannot comment on the quality of the neg scanning. For print scanning, it should do a very fine job.

Re: epson 11000xl feedback wanted & how much better is a Cezanne, IQsmart or Lanovia

I can't personally speak for scanning color but one of the libraries where I work does a lot of scanning of slides and they recently moved up to the 11000XL from a V750. I've recently started using it for 11x14 (xray-film) negatives (B&H the description says it will go up to 12x17). I use EpsonScan on MacOSX and basically seems like a v700/750 on steroids. I wouldn't anticipate any problems with color given the appropriate settings with your preferred software. I typically use it at 720 or 800dpi but these are only 'proof' scans but I've been satisfied with the quality. Who knows how long large negative capable scanners like this will continue to be available. While not inexpensive has the benefit of working with modern hardware/software.