Thread: what are these pieces?

what are these pieces?

Hello, included with the cambo 45 sr there are two pieces wich i donīt know what they can be used for.
    Can Anyone help me? Mesure of the red ruler is in centimeter
    thanks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	accesorios cambo.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	101836

Re: what are these pieces?

Those are filter holders for 4x4 gels. The indented shape is likely to accommodate the 4x4 thin cardboard filter frames that Calumet used to offer. They fit into the delux bellows lens shade.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Thank you very much Tim, i have the bellows and i īve realised that them fit on it perfectly. I going to look for some lee filters i have to check if they fit on it, altough that doesnīt have the cardboard frame.
    greetings from Spain
    Roberto

Roberto, You are most welcome.

I doubt that the Lee Resin filters will work since this is designed for gel filters (which Lee also made for Calumet) which are far thinner and completely flexible, almost the same thickness as sheets of notebook paper. Do try a Resin one just in case, but I would not recommend that you invest in any until you have tested it to see about the fit. Even adding the very thin cardboard frames that Calumet offered, the Lee resin filters are thicker if they compare in dimension with with the Cokins that I use.

In the line of gel filters, Kodak offered the Wratten brand which were excellent except for being quite delicate. Calumet offered theirs in Polyester which still needed care, but which were less likely to either crease or scratch. They still show some of these in their on-line catalog. They were supplied in color correction and traditional black and white contrast versions plus florescent correction and (I think), some "arty" forms such as soft focus.

I've seen tons of both types, gel or Polyester, on ebay, so you may have little trouble finding what you need. If you find the gels that you need, I have some extra Calumet frames that I would be happy to share at a very small price. You can use either one or two on each filter depending on your personal requirement for stiffness of the frame which is usually related to how flat you want the filter in front of the lens. Since these metal frames provide absolute flatness, a frame isn't even needed with them as the indented portion would hold it quite flat in it's shell if you fit them in a male/female configuration.

That Deluxe shade is a wonder. You should totally be pleased with it's performance and flexibility when you need extreme front movements.

Good luck.

Tim
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Roberto,

I gave you some skewed info based on what I've always done with my own filter holders. I just went and got them out of my case to check on thickness and realized that they can also be used with the caveties facing each other which gives ample depth for my Cokins and should also be roomy enough for the Resin Lee filters as well as the gels. Looks like all bases are well covered.

Tim

hi Tim, i didnīt find any filter but i supposed they need to be placed faced one to another. Or could be oriented to the same side to attach 2 filters (one in each one)?
    thanks!
    Roberto

Roberto, The times that I have used them it has been with very thin gels which I used with the parts nested so that one fit within the other and held the gels firmly in place. I try to not use more than one filter, especially if there are light sources within the images such as architectural or industrial interiors, because they will create multiple air to filter surfaces that can throw off multiple images of the light sources. The exception is when I shoot black and white landscape and want both a Polarizer and red or yellow filter as well, but then to Polarizer goes on the lens and the color gel in the holder AND, there are no light sources within the frame.

If you use them with the cavities face to face, there is plenty of room for more than one gel on the cardboard frames, and for at lease one, maybe two, resin filters.