Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm going to stop using a 4x5 BTZS focusing "tube" and get a dark cloth. Suggestions?

I'm going to stop using a 4x5 BTZS focusing "tube" and get a dark cloth. Suggestions?

I have read that some photographers use a large black towel while others use a Space Blanket from outdoor stores.

What have y'all tried?

Any suggestions for weights to hold the fabric down? I saw something on FleaBay that I'm going to try: weights that hold backdrops down.

Maybe add some fishing lead weights to these:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Studio-Light...item2ec918659f

The thing I don't like about the BTZS "tube" is that I have to remove the elastic end from my cameras each time I load a sheet film holder. When I do, (1) that takes time which means the light or subject can change and (b) I often end up moving my Cambo due to the rail design [user error].

Thanks,
    Terry

Analog Photographer Kimberly Anderson's Avatar

Re: I'm going to stop using a 4x5 BTZS focusing "tube" and get a dark cloth. Suggesti

Dark blue or black fleece blankie has worked wonders for me.

Preston Birdwell

Re: I'm going to stop using a 4x5 BTZS focusing "tube" and get a dark cloth. Suggesti

I have a Toyo that is white on one side, black on the other. It has Velcro along one edge so that you can secure it around the camera.

Be careful with weights--a strong wind could whip them into you or the camera/lens. That would hurt.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Octogenarian

Cambo makes a compact, light weight monocular reflex viewer that fits over the ground glass.

Image is right side up. Magnifying loupe is built-in No need to use a dark cloth.

I use mine on the 4x5 back of my Canham MQC. Handy gadget to have.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTerry View Post
    I have read that some photographers use a large black towel while others use a Space Blanket from outdoor stores.

What have y'all tried?

Any suggestions for weights to hold the fabric down? I saw something on FleaBay that I'm going to try: weights that hold backdrops down.

Maybe add some fishing lead weights to these:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Studio-Light...item2ec918659f

The thing I don't like about the BTZS "tube" is that I have to remove the elastic end from my cameras each time I load a sheet film holder. When I do, (1) that takes time which means the light or subject can change and (b) I often end up moving my Cambo due to the rail design [user error].

Thanks,
    Terry
    I use a high quality (thick) cotton black tee shirt, which cost less than £5 on eBay. Slip the neck opening over the camera. Put your head in as if you were going to wear it and wear a pair of +5 magnifying reading glasses.

RR

I got two XXL t-shirts from target. One is white, the other is black and I put one inside the other. The neck fits over the back of my camera nicely. They're cotton so you could clean a lens with them if you want, and they're cheap enough to toss without worry if you drop it in the LA river (just a hypothetical situation that did not happen to me, nope)
    -Chris

get some black gore-tex fabric, or some rubberized cloth(usually a lightweight nylon backed material) from these folks:

http://www.owfinc.com/

sold by-the-yard most of the time

joann fabrics occasionally has material similar to what I'm recommending, but I'd just go straight to OWF, personally

the Ripstop Breathable is ok stuff. give them a call(see 'contact') and tell them what you're looking to do.

-Dan

I sewed two pieces of cotton together, one black, one white; bought at the fabric store, total around $10.

being super lazy i just went to Hobby Lobby, got myself black moleskin cloth, cut about 1.5 yard of it (and use rest of it to light proof makeshift darkroom) and use it for 2 years - never had issue - its super light and compact and i use it across 4x5 and 8x10. To hold it in wind situation i just added cloth pins to it so they hook onto existing latches on deardorff, chamonix, korona.

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    Cambo makes a compact, light weight monocular reflex viewer that fits over the ground glass.

Image is right side up. Magnifying loupe is built-in No need to use a dark cloth.

I use mine on the 4x5 back of my Canham MQC. Handy gadget to have.
    I bought one of those Cambo reflex viewers from an eBay seller. It works wonders when the camera is lower than my eye level. But sucked for verticals when the camera was up at my eye level. I used it just five days ago for some vertical portraits and discovered I had to stand to the side (no problem). But trying to compose verticals from the side while looking into a mirror is nuts - left is right and down is up ... Ick! I finally took the reflex thingie off and composed the portraits using my BTZS tube. Then I put the reflex device back on to critical focus.

Cambo makes a device similar to their reflex one but it is designed to use while looking straight into the camera (no mirror). I'm shopping for one now to see how that works.