Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ries Tripods business status thread

Re: Ries Tripods - Are they done?

Quote Originally Posted by Dhanner View Post
    I spoke with him on at least two occasions. Most recently for about 17 minutes about a week and a half ago trying to get replacement brass retaining nuts for the two screw that were sent to me (as replacements for the first ones that had bad threads which I sent back) since they also had bad threads and would not screw on. He brought up about everything mentioned earlier in this thread and then some. Bad outsourcing quality, hard to find good workers, employees not doing what they are told, untrained workers, and key employees out sick for a week or more and another on early maternity leave for 6 months. Really sounded like the perfect storm of business challenges all happening at the same time. I am following up with him today to see if he has sent the replacement brass retaining nuts.
    I had the same issue: brass nut that wouldn't screw on an older J250. Ries made a new 3/8 camera screw for me with the correct bronze knob to match my old tripod, but the screw profile was machined for the current J250. So I sent that one back and a new screw was machined with the right profile. That screw arrived but the brass nut wasn't machined correctly and wouldn't screw on. I knew my J250 was early 90s, so I sent in my original 1/4-20 to Spencer to compare (I know, I know). Now I out two camera screws. I spoke to Spencer twice since Feb, plus lots of emails. He said my original and redone screw had shipped in April. Nothing arrived here and I know when they ship, you normally get a USPS or UPS confirmation email. He also told me the shop had flooded during December, so things were in disarray. Messaged him again today.

CH

Re: Ries tripods new owners

I saw a YT video of Shane Dignam using a Toyo Field M810 with a really funky tripod head made by Luland in China. I bought one to put on an Innorel ST42C carbon tripod, then later discovered the head is a copy of one made by Ries. IMHO Luland is Ries' competition, at least for heads.
    Last edited by Vaughan; 12-Sep-2023 at 21:27. Reason: I before E except after C.

Drew Wiley

The more important thing to note is that the facility itself is being remodeled and somewhat re-equipped. That can make a big difference, especially if the climate control has been improved. They had a big problem with cold and humidity before. It's also a good sign if it allows them to make more of their components in house rather than relying on subcontractors.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
    I'm confused about The Big Game...in 2014 ?

They plan to expand and I hope it doesn't take away from their core business. Having said that, if they can make a changing tent similar Harrison or the Chinese versions, AND there is no sticky coating issues to worry about, TAKE MY MONEY lol.

Either way, hope they do well with more control over the direction of their company, as new owners.
    The J.B. Harlin post above is from September, 2013; ten years ago.

Re: The Ries Tripods business status thread

Threads merged.

I ordered a new A100 tripod from them at the beginning of summer and it arrived the other day. Took it out yesterday and it performed flawlessly (as expected). The thing that surprised me is that they have changed the design on their tripod legs. Their old tripods, like most tripods, used a cylinder leg, but the new ones. The new design has the inner leg has with a elevated piece of wood (it's cut out from the wood not a separate piece) that runs down the outer pieces like a channel. Looks like it strengthens the tripod when you are extending the legs. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1772.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	242391

Drew Wiley

They have long offered both of those leg styles depending on the specific model. I have an example of each.

My A100 legs from the early 90s have the same shape, although yours seem slightly more pronounced...might be mine are just worn a bit. I store and use the spikes at the bottom, and the ridge is more worn at that end.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Finally after 3 weeks and several e-mails received replacement brass retaining nuts from them and not really surprised but they are bad just like the first two. Slightly too small diameter to screw on. Sent in my tripod head screw and camera screw in to correct one problem and now continue to be faced with another problem. There’s no quality control and now I’m convinced not much integrity either. All I can say if you want to buy from them today is caveat emptor.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhanner View Post
    Finally after 3 weeks and several e-mails received replacement brass retaining nuts from them and not really surprised but they are bad just like the first two. Slightly too small diameter to screw on. Sent in my tripod head screw and camera screw in to correct one problem and now continue to be faced with another problem. There’s no quality control and now I’m convinced not much integrity either. All I can say if you want to buy from them today is caveat emptor.
    3 weeks? I've been waiting months. Ugh. I need to call again. Emails aren't working. They have\had my original 1/4-20 and the new 3/8 camera screw with the bad brass nut. Same issue, too small to screw on. Spencer said parts shipped in April.

CH