Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm goin "Down Unda" in Decemba! Have a few questions of varying natures

I'm goin "Down Unda" in Decemba! Have a few questions of varying natures

Hey all,

I've just booked airfare to go down to Australia over Christmas. Leaving right at the beginning of December, staying through mid-January. Visiting family in the Sydney area, but also plan to rent a car a few times to do a bit of traveling to photograph! I have a few questions, if I may(not just Aussies are allowed to comment on this thread; as usual, anyone can ):

1. Traveling w/ camera gear(customs):
    Do I have to alert US customs & BP to what gear I'm taking with me? Opinions seem to vary online, but I'd like to hear from anyone w/ experience of this nature. I vaguely remember having to fill out customs forms when I went to Iceland a few years back, but don't remember the form #s.
    I'm taking my 5X7 Deardorff, (4) lenses and (10) holders. Tripod and changing tent will be in my checked luggage. Camera equipment and film will be with me, in my carry-on. I'd like to not have to pay any duties or import fees upon re-entry.

2. Anyone want to meet up for a coffee?
    I'd love to meet up with fellow LFF members while there, if I'm in your area! Will be staying up in the Linden/Springwood/Penrith area, or down in Pitt Town w/ family the majority of the time. I imagine I'll be in DT Sydney a few times(I DO want to photograph the bridge and opera house at dusk ), but do want to travel up north along the Gold Coast, inland, as well as down south. Not interested in "the sights" so to speak, but I like road trips and exploring the "backroads" as long as my rental car can handle it w/o needing a tow . EXPERIENCES, NOT THINGS!

3. Film processing(c-41 and E-6) in Syndey?
    I sent a message to Stephen Frizza (Lighthouse owner/operator) over on APUG just now. Anyone know of his processing? Wanted to get a local's answer if possible. I need clean, accurate processing(doesn't everyone?); but don't mind having to bring the film back home to get processed if Sydney doesn't have a place that meets these standards.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated, or if you want to meet up, send me an email directly:

mr (dot) danielstone [at] gmail [dot] com

cheers,
    Dan

Re: I'm goin "Down Unda" in Decemba! Have a few questions of varying natures

I've travelled in and out of Australia with my 5x4" kit in carry-on, and apart from x-ray scanner 'curiosity', have never had a customs issue ever. Mainly the EU & Asia. Put all your film in carry on of course, but otherwise, unless you have something sharp/pointy, there shouldn't be any problems!

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Bring all the film you might need with you - you'll be horrified at the prices if you need to buy any here. There are a few places for good processing in Sydney - The Lighthouse for E6 & C41, Vision Imagelab for E6 & C41 and Pix at Bondi for C41. By the sounds of your locations the Lighthouse might be most convenient.
    Penrith/Springwood puts you in the Blue Mountains area which is beautiful, also a good place from which to visit some inner west country areas such as Hill End, Orange, Bathurst.

Hi Dan,
    Let me know if you'll be in the Newcastle area and we can meet up. It's about 2 hours north of Sydney.
    Good processing close to down town Sydney can be had at Vision Imagelab. Film can be had from Vanbar but check prices online before. As someone said you will probably be better off bringing it all.

Sydney - Gold Coast is about 10 hours drive straight, not allowing for shooting stops. If you like nature then plenty of coastal national parks along the way like Smoky Cape, Yurigur (spelling?) and parks around Byron Bay and into the hinterland.

If you go far enough north check out the Glass House Mountains, about an hour north of Brisbane. Google them.

Let me know if you want more detail on anything. Google Earth is a great research tool for this sort of thing.

Jon

Why do u think you would have to declare camera to customs????? Unless u bought it there or r leaving it there.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Remington View Post
    Why do u think you would have to declare camera to customs????? Unless u bought it there or r leaving it there.
    Just wanted to make sure. I don't think anyone would confuse a 5x7 Deardorff as being a "new" camera by any means, but I certainly don't feel like having to pay taxes if some bumpkin TSA/Customs agent thinks I'm trying to sneak something in...

On film, original plan was to bring 100 sheets of color, I think I'll double that now, "just in case"

-Dan

Dan, you should double-check the Customs requirements, not for bringing the gear TO Australia, but bringing it back to the US.
    When leaving Canada, I usually have an itemized list of the camera gear I am bringing with me, and have the Customs people stamp it.
    That way, I don't get asked about it (or charged duties on it) when I return to Canada.
    I'm sure the US is more lax in this regard, but it would be better to make sure before leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Dan, you should double-check the Customs requirements, not for bringing the gear TO Australia, but bringing it back to the US.
    When leaving Canada, I usually have an itemized list of the camera gear I am bringing with me, and have the Customs people stamp it.
    That way, I don't get asked about it (or charged duties on it) when I return to Canada.
    I'm sure the US is more lax in this regard, but it would be better to make sure before leaving.
    YES, that's what I was thinking:

found this just now:
    http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/cl...gistration.xml

filling out the form w/ an itemized list(with serial #s) of all my camera gear. Just in case something(or somebody) gets wise...

thx,
    Dan

Hi Dan

You need to wear your underwear inside out , as everything there runs backwards.

Bob

I left SF for Sydney many years ago on December 21st. Arrived in Sydney to 46C (114F) weather! Fortunately I was prepared and left cold wet SF in shorts and sandals! But what was even more strange was going from the shortest day of the year to the longest!

Had no problem taking and returning with my 4x5. I guess I should have filled out some of those forms 'just in case'.

I don't know about the underwear thing, but remember to look right first, then left when crossing the street!

Vaughn