Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting something useful from "Mumbo Jumbo"

Getting something useful from "Mumbo Jumbo"

In a recent announcement thread, a photographer's "Mumbo Jumbo" was discussed derisively.

Now I don't know why, but every time I read statements by photographers which transcend ordinary instructions, I feel "more inspired" and become hungry for more. Something usually connects within me that makes me appreciate that photographer all the more.

Wynn Bullock's name came up as a particular example. I found a quote "When I feel a rock is as much of a miracle as a man, then I feel in touch with the universe." Now that seems a pretty obvious instruction to me: Go out and feel for yourself. That is easy enough for me to do. When I'm out and I see a rock, I definitely feel something. It can be a huge miracle like "Half Dome" or a small miracle, like a landmark outcropping in a forest. It can be a rock in someone's front-yard garden covered with a patch of lichen. I haven't gotten to where I feel a response to a dusty chunk of loose gravel, but most rocks with personality draw my attention, at least for a moment.

I'd rather hear "Mumbo Jumbo" than technical talk of tonality and micro-contrast anyday.

To someone who thinks it's all nonsense, I have a western response: "You just don't get it, do you?"

Re: Getting something useful from "Mumbo Jumbo"

To some, the word "art" is mumbo jumbo"...not to me, though.

But words, mumbo jumbo or otherwise, are tools for communication. And communication breaks down when one does not have the life experiences (or desire) to bring meaning to the words.

I think you've misunderstood the thread you're referring to. "Mumbo Jumbo" was a quote from A. Adams in reference to Mr. M. White's very specific penchant for mysticism when speaking about photography, not a moniker for all artists' statements pertaining to subject matter, craft or method. My contention was that this particular strain of mysticism, as exemplified by M. White and later on by P. Caponigro can be traced back to the conceit of Steiglitz' "Equivalents" in which the abstract form of the photographs not only transcends the subject matter but suggests an immediate correspondence to the artist's consciousness. By the time the 60's rolled around, this mode of description became so forced and cliched and further away from it's Symbolist roots that it was even less capable of conveying anything truly meaningful. It's perhaps needless to mention here that such hyperbolic text to photographs is no longer fashionable outside of a few noticeable examples (see..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSrXpFb7jFo)

The Bullock quote you refer to is a good example - it's precariously close to saying nothing at all because, as you say so yourself, it's as obvious as the nose on your face.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    When I’m out and I see a rock, I definitely feel something. It can be a huge miracle like “Half Dome” or a small miracle, like a landmark outcropping in a forest.
    I discovered this boulder at the top of a high ridge of giant cedars.

Mother Nature rolled it down from Canada during the most recent ice age, then abandoned it here when she retreated.

Well, that’s what the geologists say, a scientific Mumbo Jumbo that kills to dissect.

Me, I prefer to think it’s a miracle that Sisyphus finally succeeded in his task and may now take a long-needed rest. Makes me feel in touch with the universe.

Tachi 4x5
    Schneider XL 110mm/5.6
    Fuji Velvia-100F QuickLoad
    Epson 4990/Epson Scan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boulder.jpg  

It beats "the pyro wars" for sure. But being able to express what we are thinking isn't terribly manly, especially when it it's psuedo-spiritual or earthy. I say go ahead and try, if it can be expressed concisely, and don't worry what people might think.

I get it Bill and mostly agree with you. I also like to talk about technique......within limits. Which is why I choose not to hang out with photographers toooooo much (in groups especially). There is only sooooo much tech talk that I can take before I go to sleep or go postal.

I was at an opening on Saturday. A friend introduced me to their uncle (who had a DSLR around his neck). My friend said "oh he is a photographer too-you two can talk about cameras". I quickly made my apologies and made a quick exit. If he had had an 8x10 around his neck I would have stayed about two minutes longer for a brief conversation.........
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    If he had had an 8x10 around his neck...
    Umm, that should have made for a very interesting conversation.

Bill: We're all wired differently. There's no need to apologize for finding inspiration wherever you find it. But others may respond to different ways of talking about what they're doing. There's no one right way.

Quote Originally Posted by frotog View Post
    I think you've misunderstood the thread you're referring to.
    frotog,

The Deep Thought about trees was pretty funny. Yeah they probably DO scream all the time for no good reason.

Maybe I haven't misunderstood, those are all "sacred cows," deep wells of inspiration for me. It seems you think they are cliche. It's OK with me that you take a counter position, otherwise this doesn't become much of a discussion.

Like Oren Grad says, we are all wired differently.

It took me a while to understand what Stephen Willard meant when he wrote that he considers himself to be an "expressive plein air photographer." At first I was put off. What makes that different than what I do, when I am getting out my camera on the banks of a creek, where a watercolor painter had just folded her portable easel and walked on. I never considered myself an "expressive plein air photographer" before, but maybe at that moment I was. Maybe what we consider ourself can help us elevate our work. We must consider ourselves unique in some way. For example, what I do is special, because I take a LF camera backpacking without carrying more weight than when I carried a 35mm outfit.*

I've long believed the "Mumbo Jumbo" that trees can talk. Not sure where I heard since the Internet wasn't around back then, but I recall hearing as a child that trees do scream when cut. More recently I think science showed that the communication from a tree being attacked by beetles can cause uninfected neighboring trees to secrete a barrier to beetles - potentially saving the forest.

Can I hear them? I literally don't think so. But out of respect for the possibility, I try to treat them as if they communicate, and I try to conduct myself in a way that they would most likely NOT scream. An example, friends' Walnut ranch, I did a little pruning. While I was cutting, I talked a bit to the trees and explained what I was doing. I am sure they were cussing me out as I was apologizing for their trouble.

*Dang, no mumbo jumbo. Gotta work on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    ...what I do is special, because I take a LF camera backpacking without carrying more weight than when I carried a 35mm outfit.*

*Dang, no mumbo jumbo. Gotta work on that.
    This is really stupid as a statement. Could you imagine if that's all that made me special. Guess that's going on the tombstone then...

Why not say something that might be meaningless, but says more. "I'm special because I feel a kinship with the forest and the mountains. I treat the rivers, rocks, waterfalls and trees as if they have a voice, asking me to take their portraits".

And you know, sometimes I think I hear it and it's overwhelming. I have to say STOP! I can't possibly capture you all. Then the LF comes in, and maybe I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    I get it Bill and mostly agree with you. I also like to talk about technique......within limits. Which is why I choose not to hang out with photographers toooooo much (in groups especially). There is only sooooo much tech talk that I can take before I go to sleep or go postal.

I was at an opening on Saturday. A friend introduced me to their uncle (who had a DSLR around his neck). My friend said "oh he is a photographer too-you two can talk about cameras". I quickly made my apologies and made a quick exit. If he had had an 8x10 around his neck I would have stayed about two minutes longer for a brief conversation.........
    That being the case, and one I entirely agree with, I would defer to you anytime if ever I find myself in such a group – and get 2 minutes extra sleep, at your expense.