Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Caponigro Retrospective/CA

Re: Paul Caponigro Retrospective/CA

While there will always be those of us who may not not fully understand or accept another's spiritual approach to photography - it's unfortunate anyone would need to malign the source or inspiration.

If a photographer's philosophical or spiritual approach brings us the quality of work of those such as White, Caponigro, Bullock and many and other fine photographers, I'm all in favor. These photographers are overwhelmingly acknowledged among the finest.

Appreciate the work for whatever it is and be thankful for whatever helped create it. Despite any lack of understanding on our part, who are we to disparage the artist or the diminish the work based upon criticism of the creative force behind the artistry ?
    I know just enough to be dangerous !

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    What appears to some as mumbo jumbo can be adequate instruction to others. After all, our photography is a reflection of our capacity to apprehend.

I would certainly attend that Paul Caponigro retrospective if I could.
    I'll go listen to the "mumbo jumbo" for ya on the 17th in Thomaston ME. I like some forms of mumbo jumbo.

His son John is well spoken too and makes many video interviews. It's possible too that the producer or interviewer coaxed or primed that style of communication out of the photographer, just like some people can do here.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisD View Post
    While there will always be those of us who may not not fully understand or accept another's spiritual approach to photography - it's unfortunate anyone would need to malign the source or inspiration.

If a photographer's philosophical or spiritual approach brings us the quality of work of those such as White, Caponigro, Bullock and many and other fine photographers, I'm all in favor. These photographers are overwhelmingly acknowledged among the finest.

Appreciate the work for whatever it is and be thankful for whatever helped create it. Despite any lack of understanding on our part, who are we to disparage the artist or the diminish the work based upon criticism of the creative force behind the artistry ?
    Since I was the one who mentioned Caponigro, White, and Bullock I assume this is directed at my message. If you read it again I think you'll see that I didn't malign any of the three. I said I admired Caponigro's photography, I just didn't understand his words. I also said that might have been due to my own ignorance and that if others understood the words and that helped them make the photographs they wanted to make, that was great. I'm not sure why saying I couldn't understand what someone is talking or writing about is "maligning" them, especially when I made it clear - I thought - that my lack of understanding could be due to my own ignorance.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

When I first got serious about photography was in 1970. The big three in LP in my world at UNM were AA, Weston, Minor White and secondarily people like Bullock, Brett Weston etc. So the Mumbo Jumbo Faction was pretty evident. The first real photo show I ever saw was Wynn Bullock at the Museum in Santa Fe and it knocked me out-I never really got over it. Newhall in his history of photography classes spent many hours on each of these people always giving great importance to their ideologies with never a disparaging comment calmly explaining what they intended as he knew them all well. I only started to hear criticisms about MW and his ideologies after he was dead and always coupled with snide innuendos about his sexual demons and struggles (never once before he died which I always thought was pretty chicken shit).

I always thought MW, Bullock and Caponigro were fascinating (still do AAMOF). At least they had more to talk about than film developers and lenses.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post
    Bill, the announcement indicates work from 1957 to 2013. His latest work that I am familiar with was done in 2008. He was very busy during the period of 1999 to 2008, mostly producing still life arrangements at his home. However, I still prefer "the same old stuff" from late 1950's and early 1960's. Are you a Caponigro fan? Let me guess! I'll report back after the show is up.
    Merg, I'm definitely a fan!
    I have one of his large Stonehenge prints, and several of his books, but prefer his very early "woods and water" work. Personally, I've never thought much of the "running white deer" image.
    I really hope that his newer work is something special, but he wouldn't be the first artist to fail living up to his early promise. I look forward to your review.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    Since I was the one who mentioned Caponigro, White, and Bullock I assume this is directed at my message. If you read it again I think you'll see that I didn't malign any of the three. I said I admired Caponigro's photography, I just didn't understand his words. I also said that might have been due to my own ignorance and that if others understood the words and that helped them make the photographs they wanted to make, that was great. I'm not sure why saying I couldn't understand what someone is talking or writing about is "maligning" them, especially when I made it clear - I thought - that my lack of understanding could be due to my own ignorance.
    Hi Brian,

I'm very sorry you thought my mention of the 3 photographers was referring to your comment. That was not at all intended. You were indeed very clear that your lack of understanding was your own issue. I thought your comments were very honest and in no way derogatory - which I certainly respect.

Your mention of the 3 names did stick in my mind in relation to those photographers who could easily be singled out for their "speak" as i was writing my post.

I was bothered by an earlier post and flip remarks that seemed to me inappropriate and mocking. There were other comments in the thread that also seemed dismissive of the philosophical or spiritual side of White's and Caponigro's approach.

While i can appreciate Caponigro's spiritual attitude about his photography, I'm the first to admit I certainly don't understand it the way he does. However, I greatly appreciate that it brought him and his work to where it is today. The same for all the others who fall into this category.

Thanks for understanding.

Dennis

P.S. I've always enjoyed your quote - great advice !
    I know just enough to be dangerous !

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    Merg, I'm definitely a fan!
    I have one of his large Stonehenge prints, and several of his books, but prefer his very early "woods and water" work. Personally, I've never thought much of the "running white deer" image.
    I really hope that his newer work is something special, but he wouldn't be the first artist to fail living up to his early promise. I look forward to your review.
    Bill, interesting to hear that you are a fan, and that we share the same appreciation for Paul's early work. I would say the same of Minor, the early work was his strongest. Somewhere along the way words began to dominate the visual language.

I'll leave it at that before I get into trouble.

I never cease to be amazed at how disparaging some individuals are of the work of other renown photographers who have generally been recognized as people who have produced commendable work. That is not to say that it may be to everyone's taste. Art after all is something which appeals to a varying extent to different people. Some like it others don't that is ok. But to bad mouth it speaks more about the individual doing the criticism than the one being criticized.

My instant personal reaction always tends to be "so let's see your work if you are so smart". Rarely is it shown...

On the issue of all of this "mumbo jumbo" I am again amazed how intolerant certain individuals are about other people's views. We are all wired differently. Our motivations come from different places. What works for some doesn't work for others. If you are interested in learning then you have a natural curiosity for what works for others. That mumbo jumbo can be articulated in different ways. I personally have to be in a very "neutral" mental state, in other words not preoccupied by other thought or worries, or my photographic efforts don't amount to much. That may or may not be true for others. When I read about this "mumbo jumbo" I understand where they are coming from. They are simply expressing it in different ways then I would. But to then try and characterize that photographer as a kook again says more about the person doing the bad mouthing.

just saying...
    you can find my images on flickr at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feberdt/sets/

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Who would judge the father's work based on the sons? That strikes me as ludicrous.

Who wrote anything about judging the father by the work of the son? My comment judges the son.

In the spirit of Freud, one can re-contextualize a Minor White saying: admire a work of art for what it is and for what it might mean.
    Sex, food, shelter/safety motivates us all, but knowing that doesn't really help us to appreciate works of art. So lets drop freudian analysis from our critique tools kit.
    van Huyck Photography
    "Searching for the moral justification for selfishness" JK Galbraith