Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Size of 3.5x4.5 Speed Graphic FP Shutter?

Name: ______William Booth

Size of 3.5x4.5 Speed Graphic FP Shutter?

The local camera shop just had a load of Speed Graphics dropped on them. I am thinking of buying one of the 3.25x4.25 Speeders and using the FP shutter for barrel lenses on my 5x7 Ansco as someone here recently did with that beautiful 8x10 KMV. Anyway, I've got the ~5.2"x5.2" lens boards, and I was thinking about taking out the FP shutter, and putting it in a box behind the lens board (and attaching the bellows to the back of the shutter box), but knowing the dimensions of that FP shutter would really help before I get in too deep.

This may be better-suited for the DIY section, but I would really just like to know the height and width of a 3.25x4.25 Speed Graphic focal plane shutter, sans Speed Graphic.

Thanks,
    William

Edit: 3.25x4.25, wish I could edit the title...

Re: Size of 3.5x4.5 Speed Graphic FP Shutter?

The camera body is an integral part of the shutter. All of the mechanism is attached to it. Therefore, I don't see how you can make it do as you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    The camera body is an integral part of the shutter. All of the mechanism is attached to it. Therefore, I don't see how you can make it do as you wish.
    Agreed. Just was looking at my Pre-Anny 3x4, he will have to take out the bellows and other parts in front before fooling with the remainder for a shutter. Someone took a 2x3 Speed and used it as a shutter in front of the lens. That might be easier. Check the DIY section of this forum.

m
    Michael Cienfuegos

Check graflex.org, there's been a few discussions there on FPS's.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Cienfuegos View Post
    Agreed. Just was looking at my Pre-Anny 3x4, he will have to take out the bellows and other parts in front before fooling with the remainder for a shutter. Someone took a 2x3 Speed and used it as a shutter in front of the lens. That might be easier. Check the DIY section of this forum.
    I have disassembled, performed service on, and re-assembled a 4x5 Speed Graphic FP shutter in the past. Provided that the rollers and plate are mounted correctly in a wooden frame, I can't see why it wouldn't work. Aren't we at large format photography forum always saying that a camera is just a box anyway, or is that somewhere else?

It is the same idea as using it in front of the lens, I was just planning on transporting the shutter assembly to a lower-profile box that sits behind the lens board. Thinking of a cheaper, faster, Packard, but instead of the tubing running through the lens board or bellows, I would be attaching the bellows to the back of the shutter box and mounting the box to the back of the front standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C. View Post
    Check graflex.org, there's been a few discussions there on FPS's.
    Jim, I will check over at Graflex.org and ask a question if I can remember my username/password.

Thanks for the responses so far,
    William

I'm sure it can be done, but I suppose I will have to pony up the cash for this little Graphic before I can know for sure whether it will all fit. As you seem to suggest it will be very difficult to transport the FP shutter, I should mention that I am not opposed to cutting away half the body of the Speed Graphic. They have 5 of them, and I've got my eye on one with torn-up bellows and a crisp FP shutter. In my town, it's likely going to end up as a decorative piece anyway if I don't buy it. As much as I don't like destroying any piece of photographic equipment, I think St. Ansel will not banish me to hell for taking pictures with (part of) the thing, as opposed to putting it on a bookshelf.

-William

The problem with mounting a box behind the lensboard with speed graphic parts is that you'd have to disassemble the big camera to wind the shutter. My 4x5 speed graphic is ahead of the standard for this reason, but you'd have to have a heavy standard to support that front loading of lens and shutter.

Thanks for the video, I will check it out after work, as I haven't seen it before. As mentioned above, I was planning on mounting my bellows on the back of the shutter box and then attaching the box to the back of the front standard. That way, I'll have access to the winding knob and it will arguably help balance the weight load on the front standard.

Quote Originally Posted by fecaleagle View Post
    Thanks for the video, I will check it out after work, as I haven't seen it before. As mentioned above, I was planning on mounting my bellows on the back of the shutter box and then attaching the box to the back of the front standard. That way, I'll have access to the winding knob and it will arguably help balance the weight load on the front standard.
    Sounds like a good plan. I'm not willing to disconnect the bellows on my camera; it's easier on some cameras.

Analog Photographer Kimberly Anderson's Avatar

I'm half way through doing what you are planning on doing. Other stuff has gotten in the way, but I know you can make it work. Go for it!