Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Size of 3.5x4.5 Speed Graphic FP Shutter?

Name: ______William Booth

Re: Size of 3.5x4.5 Speed Graphic FP Shutter?

Thanks guys. I will post the dimensions of the FP shutter after I buy it. I will also get the dimensions of the 4x5 Anniversary Graphic's FP shutter when I get around to it.

Mods, feel free to move this to DIY. It's definitely gone from a request for camera information to a DIY thread quickly.

Thanks,
    William

You might just look for the focal plane shutter assembly that Graflex made as an accessory to go on the back of their studio cameras. They are not as common as a Speed Graphic, but it has everything you need without any of the stuff you don't.

Folmer & Schwing also made them (I've seen an 8x10 one) but I suspect that those qualify as uncommon.
    Vincent

AnonymousPictures.tumblr.com

Those Graflex and Folmer FPS assemblies mount on the rear standard, William wants to front mount the FPS.
    Another option for front mounting, come to think of it, is a Thornton Pickard FPS, most of those are front mounted
    and those show up more on the Bay than the Graflex / Folmer FPS's, whether those will be big enough to
    accommodate the lens he wants to use is a crap shoot.

just measured mine, the "gate" when the shutter is open is basically 3 1/16" x 4 1/16". The rear box is 5 13/16" wide and 6 1/2" tall.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Thank you Tracy! I did end up buying it, but I have been lazy and hadn't taken the measurements. I sort of lost my enthusiasm when I saw that the "gate" was only ~3 inches tall. My lens' rear diameter is about 3.25", so my plans were temporarily dashed. I am still plotting to remount it in a box and expand the "gate" slightly, because the opening in the curtain on "O" is closer to 3.5" inches, which would be sufficiently large for me. It's only the metal gate that limits the opening's height so much.

We'll see, but I appreciate you posting that info for me!

That's close enough, 1/4" shy is only 1/8" on each side off. It will still work fine.

I'm with jp498, 3 1/16" only misses 3.25" by 3/16" divided by two if you center it on the lens and you're only clipping 3/32" on each of two sides. If you align that with the narrow dimension on the film, you will most likely be golden.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

You are all making me very happy right about now. I am determined to mount the thing behind the front standard for the aesthetic and the weight distribution. It does make sense that as long as the narrow dimension of the opening matches the narrow dimension of the film, I should have nothing to worry about, but I shoot a lot with the back in portrait orientation. I haven't taken any measurements, but I believe I can file the frame out in the middle of the opening so that the gate measures at least 3.25" in all directions without requiring any movement of the rollers. I promise I will let you know when it happens, but I am planning a trip to the hardware store this weekend, so it won't be before then.

-William

What are the caveats against turning the focal plane shutter sideways? I seem to recall it not being recommended sonewhere, but if there are no compelling reasons not to turn it, I don't mind turning it on its side before shooting in portrait orientation. I've devised a bellows quick release using tiny turn buttons, so if the FP shutter will hold time reasonably well on its side, I can just turn it as required.

I can definitely understand if it screws with the speeds at lower tension settings, but I can't imagine it affecting the performance much on settings 4-6...

Fecal, Speed Graphics have a tripod socket on the left side, under the strap. The clip at the lower end of the strap is made to be easily detached from the lower bracket so that the camera can be shot in portrait orientation. On its side. Of course they run well that way.

What do you mean by bellows quick release? For all practical purposes Graphics' bellows are permanently attached.