Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Medium Format Stitching Popular?

Re: Is Medium Format Stitching Popular?

Anyone tried stitching two overlapping 6x12 frames using rear shift/rise? Might prove to be a handy technique if your favourite film disappears in sheet but it still available in 120.

retrogrouchy

I've done some stitches from scans of 6x7. Wasn't really any different to stitching from a DSLR, which I used to do a lot of.

It would be intersting to have someone conduct a comparison or a shootout of a high-end DSLR vs a high-end MF digital back vs a 617 pano film camera. Comparing camera investment cost, time to set-up and shot the scene, post processing time (including scanning and cleaning of the film), and overall image quality.

Yep, done that with film and digital back on viewcamera ... easy way to expand your coverage for the right type of subject ...

Quote Originally Posted by dave_whatever View Post
    Anyone tried stitching two overlapping 6x12 frames using rear shift/rise? Might prove to be a handy technique if your favourite film disappears in sheet but it still available in 120.

Interesting time consuming excercise but soo much is function of your workflow of what you're trying to accomplish ...

Shooting/stitching with my D3x is different than shooting with my Phase One/Leaf Aptus combination or shooting 8x10 ... and the time to print or finished file if you want is depending on so many factors, most of them subject related.

If you're after 617 performance, then your done quickly ... if you try to produce an image covering 60" x 720" to be viewed from 1ft distance then you have a different challenge regardless of the technique/process you use ;-)

Keep shooting !

Quote Originally Posted by Fotoman Professional View Post
    It would be intersting to have someone conduct a comparison or a shootout of a high-end DSLR vs a high-end MF digital back vs a 617 pano film camera. Comparing camera investment cost, time to set-up and shot the scene, post processing time (including scanning and cleaning of the film), and overall image quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Fotoman Professional View Post
    Exactly!!! This is the main reason for asking. If there are people out there shooting medium format and stitching I'd love to see the results. I can see lots out there from DSLRs and they are great. Where is the medium format work?
    -1-

Calm waters by Sergei Rodionov, on Flickr

-2-

Colorado 2012 by Sergei Rodionov, on Flickr

Its working. Ok for landscapes, specially if you going for modern landscapes with everything in sharp focus.

(about 6-10 frames each, 22mp per frame)

I suggest heading to getdpi forum and digging around. There are plenty of landscape shooters with tech cameras who stitch.

Getdpi is typically my second stop after LF forum. Thank you for the advice and these pictures are very nice.

retrogrouchy

this is about 7x25cm of Acros, cylindrical projection digitally stitched by hugin from 7 frames after scanning:

Terelj National Park, Mongolia.

portrait is from a 6 panel stitch with 55 mm on a Leaf back. Landscape is 3 panel stitch. Hard to see upper details at this size, tho.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails London St. Barts Pano 1A sml.jpg   London St. Barts pano 2A small.jpg