Thread: DURST CLS 200 - usable?

DURST CLS 200 - usable?

I have a Durst CLS 200 mounted to a Lavako head that came in a box with my Durst 138s... The power transformer humms like it is doing something, but no light comes on. Assuming bulb is burned out.

Was thinking about using it as a housing for my cold light head. Not much info online about the 200 CLS. Came with a TRA 200 transformer.

Are these things usable in any way? doorstop?

Have decided to sell my Omega D5500 and start using the Durst instead.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0320v2.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	100669
    Robert Oliver

Re: DURST CLS 200 - usable?

Transformers can hum (vibrate too) a little even with no load. Can you remove the lamp and check on the pins for continuity with a DMM to see if the filament is gone? That will 99% tell you the problem before buying a replacement lamp(s).

Works perfectly once I actually pushed the bulb in the socket... Now to decide whether to use it.

Do I simply put this over the condensers? Or do I need to build a mixing channel?
    Robert Oliver

I'm not familiar with the unit in the picture, but, in general, dichroic heads work by placing filters partially in the light path. If the light were collimated (like a condenser head) only part of the image will have the filtration. That is why dichroic heads need a good diffusion/mixing box.

I know the dichroic system fairly well on my Omega... but this one is different. It ends up looking like a point light source that sits at least 6 inches directly above the condensers and points straight down. The diffusion material is an odd little 2" x 2" thin, flat, diffused sheet of plastic with an extruded dome facing down.

I'm assuming you use the condensers as if you were using the stock opal bulb. I saw a custom mixing box for the 138s on the Glennview site, but it was for a light source that came into the chamber at a 90 degree angle. This one points straight down.

Most of the mixing boxes I have used sit just above the film holder and have a sheet of diffusion material that is is bigger than the film area.
    Robert Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Oliver View Post
    I know the dichroic system fairly well on my Omega... but this one is different. It ends up looking like a point light source that sits at least 6 inches directly above the condensers and points straight down. The diffusion material is an odd little 2" x 2" thin, flat, diffused sheet of plastic with an extruded dome facing down. .
    Ok, I had heard of a hybrid enlarger like that, now I know what it looks like. What does the big knob do?

If you want a nice non-electronic head, and only print 4x5, the Chromega-D is easy to find and works well.

If you want the best color head (non-electronic) for your 138 Durst ever made, one is available free here: Pay the guy to pack and ship from Germany. http://www.apug.org/forums/forum190/...n-germany.html

The big dial simply raises the dichroic unit on the top...

I am just using the condensers and the stock 300w Opal globe that's in it. That setup is a bit bright with just the condensers, and too bright with a sheet of white acrylic placed between the negative and the condensers.

Might look into an LED conversion of the current head with a sheet of diffusion gel below the condensers.
    Robert Oliver