Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ebay film camera categories???

Re: Ebay film camera categories???

Arrghhh! I just did some browsing under film cameras on eBay, and the "camera type" filter was present in the left sidebar. Go figure. Thanks again.

Not for me it isn't. eBay loves you best! Waaaah!

Quote Originally Posted by davisg2370 View Post
    Using a category as broad as just "large format" has it's own problems. They used to do so, and a third of the stuff that came up was medium format because the sellers check the "large format" box when listing it.
    I believe some of that was due to ebay not having a MF catagory in some countries.

Also slightly weird is that "vintage" is not under "film photography" even though most of the stuff in that category is for film photography.

Quote Originally Posted by Moopheus View Post
    Also slightly weird is that "vintage" is not under "film photography" even though most of the stuff in that category is for film photography.
    And quite modern cameras are called Vintage . . . . . .

It's a bit of a mess at the moment.

Ian

They should have a category called RARE for the guy who keeps posting old Kodak paper all as Rare or Super Rare.

Over the last 2 weeks, I have juggled between 2 computers and 3 browsers; Firefox, Google Chrome and IE. The category format was switching back and forth from the original categories to brand only. Now stuck on brand only. I have called customer support twice and gotten no definite answer. Just sent a No it didn't, "Did this help?" form. I thought it was a problem of my making. Frustrating!!

Gerry

Just got a heads up to this thread and had started my (now deleted) own . . .

This has to be a bug, or at least a slip-up. Note that, for selling, all works well. Going to the "Sell an Item" menu option, selecting the following category:

Cameras & Photo > Film Photography > Film Cameras,

and advancing to where one can complete the form, add photos, etc., selecting "TYPE = Large Format" is still an option.

But for browsing, navigating to the exact same category as above . . .

Cameras & Photo > Film Photography > Film Cameras,

the "TYPE=Large Format" filter is not an available option, as has been discussed above.

This absolutely does not make sense!

I called EBay about this, and the technician logged into my user account as if it were me, and she informed me that the TYPE filter was available to her for browsing. She suggested that it must be my computer, but submitted the issue to EBay programmers none-the-less. It made an impression on her that the "TYPE=Large Format" filter was available for selling, but not for browsing (for me) in the exact same category.

CALL TO ARMS! Maybe the resolution to this is for enough EBay users to call EBay and complain, describing this problem as a bug, and pointing out that all works well for selling, but not for browsing. Mention that it's happening to multiple EBay users.

To call EBay, go to Customer Support, select "Contact EBay", then select "Buying", and follow up with "Finding Items to Buy" in the list that appears. You'll then be given the option "Call Us" to call EBay. They give you a code that can be entered after dialing the phone number that's provided.

This bug really downgrades the use of EBay for LF'ers. It might be possible to get this problem corrected. I will call again and point out that this is happening to multiple EBay users. It's to EBay's advantage, as well as our own, that this problem gets fixed.

These changes on Ebay have made it more likely that people will buy & sell on forums like this one and APUG etc, I preferto buy/sell o away from ebay but then you can always.

Ian

Neil - This link will take you directly to the ebay LF section for browsing.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Film-Cameras...rge%2520Format
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.