Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Which tripod head for large format photography

Drew Wiley

Re: Which tripod head for large format photography

Of course it gets better than a Ries tripod head, namely, a Ries tripod with no redundant head on it at all! ... at least for 8x10 flatbed purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Best kind of head for large format? None! A large platform atop a sturdy tripod like a Ries is as stable as it gets, and with a little practice, all you need. There's a
    hecka a difference between stabilizing a 4x5 Chamonix and the typical 8x10. ... and unless it's the size and weight of a rhinoceros, a ballhead would be the worst
    option I can think of.

I agree with Drew 100%, a Ries A-series tripod is probably the best option. Stupidly, I sold mine, but will eventually get another one, maybe.

For now, my Gitzo carbon fiber tripod and #5 low-profile head does a VERY satisfactory job of supporting my 5x7 Deardorff, as well as my GX680 system(medium format, but still big)

If you're not venturing far from the car, then a heavier option like the Majestic can work well. But if you like a lighter-on-your-back option, carbon fiber really has some terrific benefits.

-Dan

Attachment 100509

I use this platform with three tripods and four view-cameras, 4x5, half plate, 5x7 and 8x10. Since all my cameras are 100 plus years old, it's a perfect fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotah Jackson View Post
    Ries A250 tripod head. For an 8x10 it doesn't get any better.

http://www.riestripod.com/products/heads
    I have the Ries A250 and yes it is a very stable head but IMHO overkill for 8x10 as it has a 6" x6" base and is 4.75#. If you are shooting out of the truck it is no biggie but I would not want to carry it very far. My A250 Mine is relegated to support my 30# Deardorff V11 on top of the A100 Ries tripod.

For 8x10 the Manfrotto 475 tripod with the 229 Super Pro head I found works great and I thank Sandy King for showing my this combo in the field. Extra support member to each leg, a rising center column if you need it, two leveling bubbles and a quick release plate that saves me time and effort. Until recently I have been frustrated with ball heads and grew comfortable with the ability to isolate each of the three head directions.

Just found out from B&H that they have discontinued selling the majestic 1001 model meant for large format cameras and returned my payment. I had a look at the ries heads and ordered the j series head and planning to get the wooden legs as well should be lighter than my Gitzo.

I hate putting a nice flat bed on a modern head. I am working on getting a setup like this. I have the platform and doing a long distance trade for the tripod.

I hope I saved the tripod from being a lamp in the trade...

I don't like scratching old clean cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Fart View Post
    Attachment 100509

I use this platform with three tripods and four view-cameras, 4x5, half plate, 5x7 and 8x10. Since all my cameras are 100 plus years old, it's a perfect fit.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTerry View Post
    Now that I have a fairly heavy Rodenstock 300mm f5.6 lens hanging off the front of my 4x5 Cambo, I'm going to test it with my Manfrotto video tripod which has a 75mm bowl for precise alignment. Yes, the Manfrotto legs and fluid head are heavy but I'm not a back packer, I shoot on locations that I drive to. More on the test in a couple days...
    OK, I used the Manfrotto video tripod with fluid head in the park for some portraits. With the Cambo and 300mm Rodenstock atop the tripod it all was a very sturdy and stable package. The nice thing about the 75mm bowl was that it allowed for quick adjustment of the monorail to horizontal. For sure, I will be using this setup again.

multiplex

for a clamshell / press 4x5 camera + graflex slr, a tiltal ( black, new 75$ ) is what i use
    i also use it sometimes with a toyo bellows camera ... bigger than 4x5 i use a berl..bach and 3047 ( i think ) head.
    there is nothing funnier to see than someone using a gigantic tripod with a small camera ..
    like a large tripods with cellphone on it ...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwarak Calayampundi View Post
    I own a chamonix 4x5 and will soon move to 8x1
    Which 8x10"? Or, to put it more to the point, what lenses are to be on that 8x10"?

A lightweight wooden field 8x10 is far from being the same as the Kardan Color 8x10, and those need very different tripods. And an 8x10" with a 210mm wideangle needs a very precisely adjustable head though the head needn't be the most durable in the word, and an 800mm Celor doesn't call for that much precision in the head but that head really has to be rock-solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I want a Berlebach 8043 Wood Tripod Legs with Levelling Center Column - Supports 17.6 lb (8.0 kg) Real nice, lightweight and actually cheap. High quality made in Germany. Traditional and vibration free.
    Quote Originally Posted by michael slade View Post
    I had a nice Berlebach with a self-leveling center column. I liked it, but felt it wasn't big enough for the 12x20. Hence, the Miller. For 8x10 a Berlebach would be just peachy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Stone View Post
    a Ries A-series tripod is probably the best option.
    I own three Berlebachs of the bigger UNI series. I use the ones with self-leveling center columns for MF. I find the simpler one without center column suitable but definitely not the best for my Calumet C-1 (though I think it is still better then the Ries Model A (happily sold at last!!!)). I've considered the Berlebach Report series and found those to be terribly flimsy, even for small cameras. And the best combo I could find for my C-1 with 500mm to 800mm lenses is an old wooden cine tripod (noname but looks like Miller and O'Connor and all the other similar stuff of the same vintage) with the old version Ries A Photoplane (one-way tilting via a pretty solid rod).

I too use a Berlebach (don't remember the model) with leveling center post with my Kodak 2-D. No ballhead , just screw it straight onto the center post. Gives me enough movement for the work I do, holds the camera securely and saves the weight of a 8x10 class head.

Often times, less is more.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!