Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Which tripod head for large format photography

Re: Which tripod hear for large format photography

Thanks for all the replies guys I guess majestic is within budget looks really solid. I think I will get that.

Re: Which tripod head for large format photography

If you don't want to tilt the camera much, you may use a tripod with levelling without any other head, Barlebach does nice wooden once. Thanks to shorter arm is more rigid than any head.

I managed to buy (for some $100) an old Foba C-40 tripod with a not-geared 2D head (looks exactly like their current model ASMIA http://www.foba.ch/eng/kopf/kopf.htm ), and it is very stable. When I'm bored with my life, I'll hang myself on it The problem might be to find another one for similar price, B&H sell them (heads only, tripods are obsolete) for... tadam, tadam... $1532.60.
    || Cezary Żemis <cezary.zemis@pronet.pl> | www.cezaryzemis.name
    || ph.:+420 605 560 885|ph.:+48 794 337 097

I use a ball head for everything now, but I used to swear by the Manfrotto 229 head for very large and heavy cameras.

I have a zillion tripods and have yet to find - THE ONE

I used a majestic with my 8x10

I use a old Cambo (Diawa probably) legs with a bogen 3047 head for 'studio' use for my 5x7 tech..or hercules quick-set (3 stage) with a bogen or linhof head for traveling 5x7

I also have a linhof, and a wood one w/o a nameplate for 4x5 use

and I always carry a linhof with a ball head in my trunk just in case

I also have a Bolex I converted to a leveling head that is pretty nice for a lighter 5x7 and 4x5

I have way too many tripods

Analog Photographer Kimberly Anderson's Avatar

I had a nice Berlebach with a self-leveling center column. I liked it, but felt it wasn't big enough for the 12x20. Hence, the Miller. For 8x10 a Berlebach would be just peachy.

Drew Wiley

Best kind of head for large format? None! A large platform atop a sturdy tripod like a Ries is as stable as it gets, and with a little practice, all you need. There's a
    hecka a difference between stabilizing a 4x5 Chamonix and the typical 8x10. ... and unless it's the size and weight of a rhinoceros, a ballhead would be the worst
    option I can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    I use a ball head for everything now,
    You must know a lot of curse words, Ari!

Ari's is a hybrid: It's a ball head where you can lock one axis independently of the other.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    Ari's is a hybrid: It's a ball head where you can lock one axis independently of the other.
    Ok. That makes more sense.

Years ago when shooting 35mm I always wanted a ball head because I figured it would be easier and faster. I finally bought a used Gitzo ball head and tripod. The tripod was great but I hated the ball head and sold it. Ball heads are just not for me.

It's funny sometimes how you can want something so bad but when you finally get it you find out you were better off without it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    Ok. That makes more sense.

Years ago when shooting 35mm I always wanted a ball head because I figured it would be easier and faster. I finally bought a used Gitzo ball head and tripod. The tripod was great but I hated the ball head and sold it. Ball heads are just not for me...
    I used the same set-up (in my case, a Gitzo Studex with a Ball #2) with a light weight 4x5, then 5x7, for ten years. Worked very well for me. The camera and pod were 'liberated' from me which is the reason I went to 8x10 and a Ries pod/head. I still use a ballhead (cheapie) on a small Gitzo for the Rolleiflex. I suppose I did not know better and just made it work for me.