Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Novatron flash heads

Novatron flash heads

Any of you have experience with having a Novatron monolight head repaired. I need info on having a flash tube replaced on a 400m unit. This could include any service center, not just Novatron.

Thanks.

Tim
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Re: Novatron flash heads

If you can get the parts you can do it yourself. Only three leads on the tube,two power and one trigger lead. Be sure the head is unplugged from the power pack before doing anything! Also only handle the tube with cotton gloves, oils from your skin will burn on and damage the tube.

Unless they've changed policy (doubtful) they won't sell parts to an individual.

I was a warranty service station for Novatron, and I had to include my ID number on all parts orders.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Thanks, guys.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Are there any capacitors in the head? If so, unplugging it my not be enough...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    Are there any capacitors in the head? If so, unplugging it my not be enough...
    There are in the monolights (there's no place else to put them ).

There are none in the power-pack heads.

- Leigh

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Thanks, Leigh! I figured the monolights (which Lenser was asking about) pretty much had to have them...

Lenser, the capacitors can hold a significant electrical charge even days after being unplugged. Be careful!
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Thanks, guys. I am well aware of those dangers. I'm actually trying to find out for a friend who just was given a couple of these, one working and the other in need of the tube. I'll be very sure he gets the word again although I've already mentioned this to him.

Right now, we're really still searching for a good service person who does these for a reasonable price.

Couple of notes here: I worked for Omega Brandess, they build and distribute Novatron. However they do not build the 400m those are built in Texas by the former employee owned company Ntronix. Omega does not service the Monolights however I learned enough while there to discourage anyone not qualified to do repairs. Capacitors hold enough voltge in most of these heads to kill you - dead.
    A 400 watt unit can store 400 to 600 Volts. One former employee of Novatron burned his hand off with the electrical current from a power pack. Unlike other forms of electrical current capacitors are unpredictable. To openly encourage a user on this forum (Which in this context does not require a log in to read)- to open, monkey around with and at best void any warranty existing or otherwise create bigger problems is; kind of irresponsible IMOP. Call Omega Brandess they will give you a repair facility or refer you back to Ntronix.
    800-777-6634
    "Great things are accomplished by talented people who believe they will
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com

I agree with Greg. Send it to an authorized repair facility.

I'm no longer associated with Novatron, so can't help you directly.

As a plug for their products...
    I terminated the contract because I never received any units to service.
    I have a large assortment of Novatron equipment for my own use, and never had a failure.

- Leigh