Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beseler 45 MCRX Enlarger

Beseler 45 MCRX Enlarger

Hi, any opinions and experiences with the Beseler 45 MCRX enlarger ? I will use it mostly for 4X5 work. What do you like about it and what dont you like about it. Thanks for any help
    Shannon

Re: Beseler 45 MCRX Enlarger

I had one for years; good, solid enlarger, lots of available parts. I particularly liked the motorized column.
    I put an Aristo cold light head on mine, and I really liked the look of cold light.
    Switching back and forth between condenser and cold light was a few minutes' work.
    If it can be had in good condition for under $500 with the neg carriers and lens boards, I'd say go for it.

I really like mine. Using an Ilford Multigrade head. I only do b&w, usually on Ilford paper, so it's a good match.

It's a great enlarger. Very easy to use. Mine is mounted to the wall, so it's extremely rigid.

http://www.mayadate.org/pix/Darkroom3.jpg

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

At first I was an Omega man, but now I prefer all things Beseler. Sturdier, better bracing, motorized, parts everywhere and most all the same. I really like the special stand.

However I really prefer a Beseler CB-7, which is almost the same but more adjustable, bigger condenser and it has it's own special stand, same knock down design as a 45.

Both can be converted to 5x7 with the right parts.

And of course there is the 8x10 kit, nobody can find.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BESELER-45MC...item27cfd36dd6
    Tin Can

Sorry, don't buy a new one unless you can afford it. I bought a nearly new one for $25 in Milwaukee!

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    At first I was an Omega man, but now I prefer all things Beseler. Sturdier, better bracing, motorized, parts everywhere and most all the same. I really like the special stand.

However I really prefer a Beseler CB-7, which is almost the same but more adjustable, bigger condenser and it has it's own special stand, same knock down design as a 45.

Both can be converted to 5x7 with the right parts.

And of course there is the 8x10 kit, nobody can find.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BESELER-45MC...item27cfd36dd6
    Tin Can

I have had mine for more than 25 years now, it is still working as new and never broke down. It is fitted with a Zone VI cold light. Once a while, I buy a used negative carrier, another lens board. It is a great product.
    J. K.

I bought a MCRX about 18 years ago and that photographer had it for over 10 years. They are the grandfather to the MXT but they are solid. I picked up a MXT with a Zone VI cold light from a local college that was disposing of all it's darkroom equipment a year ago but haven't had a chance try it out yet. I would love to convert it to an 810 but then I would have to buy an 810 camera. I wouldn't be able to hide all of that from my wife and don't think she will go along with all of that. Parts are readily available. Have fun with it.

I have 4 of them, they are rugged, easy to maintain and affordable.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

Thanks so much for the great responses.In looking at the manual and now your responses,,im sold.Going to go look at it and its accessories this week end.We recently moved our studio to a new building ware i was able to build a dark room.Got the darkroom done but been using my only enlarger witch is a 35mm/120.Im very excited to be able to print large format again.Wish me luck with the sale.
    thanks again
    S

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Kearns View Post
    I would love to convert it to an 810
    The problem with that is that no enlarging lens will fit the lensboard that covers 8x10 so they resorted to a wide field process lens that left a lot to be desired if you are a critical worker. Especially because that lens was optimized for f22 which meant very long exposures, possible vibration and possible reciprocity. An enlarging lens for 810 is corrected for around f11. That is a big difference!