Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: getting started in LF

getting started in LF

8x10 is nice, very nice, but generally it's a whole other ballgame in terms of size, weight, cost and avialability (both gear/lenses and film)

And yes, with some exceptions I do find the 4x5 contact a little too small - but it's one way to get started.

You are going to find it much easier - and generally cheaper - to find a wider variety of 4x5 cameras and lenses. Film holders are cheaper and comparatively much lighter. Film is also cheaper for starting off.

Biggest point is that with some patience you should be able to pick up a decent 4x5 enlarger for a good price - either locally or on ebay (friend here just bought a cambo 4x5 monorail, 90mm 6.8 Super Angulon, 150mm 5.6 Schnieder, film holders + a very nice durst 4x5 enlarger with two schnieder lenses all for $1000.00 for a local pro/studio photogorpaher going digital). A year or so ago I bought an old Omega 4x5 enlarger + lens for $125.00 at a garage sale here. And that's in a city of only 13,000 people.

If you find you really do get hooked but want the bigger neg, you will probably not lose anything on selling your gear to move up to 8x10 (though if you are like most of us, you will probably find an excuse to hang on to the 4x5 gear as well....!)
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

getting started in LF

I'm still very much a beginner with LF. I went the 8x10 route since I only wanted to contact print. While I don't regret my choice, I will say that if I were doing it again today, I'd start with 4x5 instead; there are just so many more options.

getting started in LF

thanks to all for advising me how to get started in LF-I hope to be able to start soon