Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Need expert advice- best light weight folding field camera?

Re: Need expert advice- best light weight folding field camera?

The TravelWide will not be available to the general public until later in the year. First, the TravelWide guys have to fill the orders of all the initial backers. So, that's not an option for Issy. Besides, that camera has no movements, and will not offer the control you can get with a good field camera.

I echo Issy's feeling that the Toyos being handed out to students are plasticky and underwhelming. I don't know the model, perhaps we can figure it out Weds in class. Yes, I believe the camera is all black.

I found this info on the net: "On my kitchen scale, the Speed Graphic weighs almost 7 lbs (3.17 kg) while the Crown Graphic weighs about 6 lbs (2.72 kg). Bottom line, the Speed Graphic weighs 16% more than the Crown." I don't think Issy will be happy with either of these cameras, as she is looking for something under 4 pounds.

I say go for a used carbon fiber tripod by Gitzo, you won't regret it. I don't know how the 1228 compares to the 2xxx series, but I love the 1228. The numbering system is confusing. Mount one of the lighter ball heads on the tripod. The Manfrotto 410 weighs 2.7 lb (1.2kg), according to B&H. I think it it is worth it but don't get it unless you can deal with the weight.

A very good friend of mine owns a Gitzo carbon fiber tripod. When he handed it to me I just couldn't believe how light it was. He has a pan/tilt head on his which I like. I just can't get along with ball heads.

The Toyo CF was a plastic version of their 45AX camera. I've heard complaints about sturdiness of the CF. I have an AX. It's a very solid camera.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I have owned the Toyo CF for 10 years now and while it's light, it is a very sturdy camera - perfect for lightweight backpacking or bicycle touring. I also own the Toyo AX which is a much better camera (it's a technical field camera with full back movements except rise), but it's twice as heavy as the CF and requires a heavier tripod. I use the CF for overnight backpacking and bicycle touring.

Thomas

One to look at is the Toho FC-45x. It is a lightweight monorail that can accomodate wide angles and long lenses, and handles portrait, landscape and architecture well. They run about $1000 used. Kerry Thalmann has a review of the camera on his website. You might want to go with a used Linhof IV or V, which is heavier but solid and capable of handlheld and tripod-based composition with movements. The Meridian 45B (not the 45A) is a Linhof knockoff that does not win any beauty contests but gets the job done well for less than $500. From what I have read and heard, the Chamonix is also an excellent option. I have an Ikeda Anba for sale if you are interested but in my opinion it is optimal for backpacking rather than walk-around.

Recognize that you are battling system weight, not camera weight, and you may want to put your money into lighter lenses, tripods and accessories rather than the camera. I consider a carbon fiber tripod a must (Feisol is cheap and excellent), and I choose lenses that are light, perform well and have a decent image circle. Many of us go through several cameras before finding the one that fits our needs best. The tripod and lenses will last forever.
    Peter Y.

Just make sure it has the bellows and lens board to support whatever lens you'll be using. If weight is your main consideration, bellows length may be sacrificed in the manufacture in the interest of weight reduction and if the bellows aren't long enough to let you use whatever lens you're going to be using to it's fullest, well, you get the idea.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Or maybe a deal on a Berlebach with a new warranty?

http://hpmarketingstore.com/index.ph...roducts_id=536

A wooden Berlebach with a wooden field camera make for one purty outfit!

I owned a Toho FC-45x for a couple of years. It was amazingly light weight, and so it was by far my favorite camera to carry around. Nonetheless, it was my least favorite camera to use.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know