Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Need expert advice- best light weight folding field camera?

Re: Need expert advice- best light weight folding field camera?

Lots of praise for the Chamonix. But I would avoid a wooden camera in your situation. I have seen college darkrooms and equipment areas which are on the used and abused side of things. A wooden camera is durable, but not necessarily student proof.

No offense meant, but you are probably not a 40-65 year old male gear freak who who keeps and updates a spreadsheet on the movements and bellows lengths of view cameras (I am in that group by the way). If you were in that group, you would love a beautiful wood camera, envy an Ebony but hate the price, and periodically pull out the camera to blow off the dust and wax the wood for fun. But for school, a metal camera (Toyo, Wista) is built like a tank, generally inexpensive. Looks like you need a Toyo AX or AII with a 135 mm lens and a few film holders.

A couple of questions: how likely are you to drop your camera over the course of training and how easily can you afford to repair/replace the camera?

Hello Issy,

First off: Congratulations on getting accepted in an MFA program. Many consider this to be an accomplishment in-and-of-itself!

I have not read most of this thread. I am sure that there is really great information here that will apply to your needs.

Now for my two cents worth:

Sure . . .go ahead and buy a nice wood field camera. For which one and where to get it . . .See above. Almost any of them will do what you want, and it will look great. I regularly use a classic Zone-VI for 4x5 and a mid-thirties era Kodak 2-D for 8x10. You may even channel William Henry Jackson, Bradey or Curtes . . .Adams, Weston et al.

After that, also get a-hold of a Speed Graphic. These press cameras were designed for taking pictures of people hand held and on-the-fly. They are quick to set-up and stow away and even have a little bit of front tilt. There may even be some cachet in the academic art world for using this type of gear. Don’t know your budget (I didn’t read) but they don’t come too high either.

Later on, tell us what you did and show us a few images.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    Lots of praise for the Chamonix. But I would avoid a wooden camera in your situation. I have seen college darkrooms and equipment areas which are on the used and abused side of things. A wooden camera is durable, but not necessarily student proof...
    I have been checking out view cameras (all 4x5) to students for 20+ years. The advantage of wood over metal is that wood tends to give a little if dropped and metal tends to get permanently tweaked. The Tachiharas we had did not last too long (5 or 6 years) -- the metal fittings tended to break with student use and eventually it was dropped too many times and was used for parts. The Horseman Woodman 4x5's have held up much better (less fussy to set-up and fold away...which is where much of the student damage is done...and the hardware is simpler and stronger than the Tachahara).

The Shen Hao (sp?) is holding up well so far, but we have only had it for a couple years. It is also a bit heavier.

For 4x5, I have been using a Gowland Pocketview for the past 25+ years. http://www.petergowland.com/camera/

It does fold up, but not as neatly and cleanly like most wood 4x5's -- I have used it for backpacking and on a 6 month bicycle tour of NZ. Mine weighs 2.5 pounds with the 150mm/5.6 lens on it. Later models with more movements (that I have never missed) and reversible backs (which would be nice) are a pound or two heavier.

Crown or Speed Graphics are cheap enough to pick one up and used for times one wants to hand-hold or do not need as much movements (pretty much limited to front tilt.)

Good luck with your camera(s) choice and your MFA! Congrats!

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

My To yo 45Cf is right at 10 years old and it still looks as if new. But I do take care of it by wrapping it in a large Donkey wrap when storing it in the backpack or pennirrs (sp) and in waterproof hard cases when not in use. It's also heartening to see that the camera is now selling for almost twice the price I played for it. Samething with the Rode stock 150mm lens that I bought from B&H with the camera.

Incidentally, B&H doesn't carry the Chamonix and neither does Badger. Of the manufactures listed on the B&H site, Arca-Swiss leads the pack with 20 models available, To yo comes in 2d with 11 models, Linhoff 3d with 6 models and Horseman a distant 4th with only 1 model.

Thomas

Thomas, we have a Toyo CF we are starting to check out to students (it was a donation to our program). Reviews of the camera I have read (from users) tend to indicate a weakness of some of the plastic/metal interfaces, and that it would not make a suitable 'student camera' due to the rougher use by students -- especially for the first time.

So I have been trying to hold back lending out the CF to beginners. How does any of this match your experience with your CF?

Thanks! Vaughn

You know, B&H is not into large format these days. I visit B&H once a week. They have every digital point and shoot known to man, on display, but few large format cameras, except one or two in used department, as far as I can see. I don't think what they carry means much in terms of what is worth buying for large format. Most people can't dish out for Arca Swiss, but some New Yorkers can. Arcas are all special order and take 3-8 weeks to get. The Toyos say they take 4-6 months!

Imagowan

Finding a used Chamonix 45n-2 has led to zero results. I will either have to buy it new or consider going with the other options (many of which I am sure will work for my needs just as well). I used a Toyo field camera last week (not sure what the model was). While I should acknowledge that it is a school camera given out to many students, I felt the camera was somewhat rinkydinky. It functioned okay, but my experience of it was that it felt like a plastic toy camera and and seemed poorly built. I will be using it again this week. Perhaps I shall grow to love it.

Isobel - I would be interested in knowing which MF camera you have been using. One with interchangeable lenses and a viewing screen? Have you chosen colour film on purpose? Many of your images, I think, would be even more striking in B/W.

You will never get a really lightweight set as you must consider the tripod, film holders, lenses and etc. So 500 grams difference in camera body doesn't mean too much in practice.

Widows and Orphans Beware

Quote Originally Posted by Imagowan View Post
    Hi guys,

Just wanted to start by saying how great you all are! What informative and helpful answers! Thank you so so much!

I am a bit confused of the differences between wooden folding cameras and non wooden folding cameras. Is it a matter of style? Weight? durability?

As of now I have compiled a list of potential Cameras- mainly based on your recommendations. They are are as follows:

1. Gandolfi Traditional Field
    2. Ebony (SV45Ti, SV45u, SV45TE, RW45)
    3. Chamonix 45n-2
    4. shen Hao
    5. Horseman 4x5 Woodman
    6. Wista 45DX

The weight is super important to me. I really need to be carry this thing without being miserable. I am thinking something under four pounds. Ideally the camera I get will be very light. I am a bit worried about the durability of the wood camera, but believe these are the lighter cameras. I would like the camera to be sturdy, well engineered, not easily breakable. Set up would ideally be quick and not too annoying. I would need it to shoot wide angle and close up (so different lenses and long belows?) I am looking to use it on a tripod. While it would be nice to have a full range of movements, I know this is not possible. It would be great to have as many as possible, but I understand that I need to compromise somewhere! I would say weight is most important to me although I willing to overlook this by a pound or more if this will give me a better all around camera. Sometimes I shoot in situations with a bunch of people or at unusual gatherings and settings so the camera should not be too flimsy. (basically it looks as though I am trying to find a dream camera that just does not exist. Honestly, though, I just want to find the best light weight camera)

I am not looking to break the bank but am willing to spend up if need be. I am having a hard time trying to tell which of these cameras would be best for me and distinguishing the pros and cons of each. If you have any other help, thoughts, wisdom, advice, and suggestions that would be incredible!

again thank you so much for being so kind and helpful
    Based on what I've seen of your work and what you say you're looking for, getting anything other than a Crown or Speed Graphic would be nuts. If you want candid shots, you're going to need something you can hold in your hand. There's a reason press photographers used Speed Graphics and not fancy folding field cameras on tripods. They are also light and have enough movements to get you started.

The reason you don't get more recommendations for one of these is because there isn't much for a gear nut to say about them. They're simple, they work, they do the job, but no whistles, no bells, not pretty to look at (well, I like them) and they're not expensive. If you hang around here long enough, and I hope you do, you'll find that when somebody asks a general question about what kind of camera to use, most of the responses are people recommending what they use. For some reason, people take comfort when others do what they do. That's why humans are by and large conformists.

In terms of the candidates that you've selected, in my opinion there isn't that much difference between them. They all do the same thing, in more or less the same way. What you need to do is get a camera in your hands and start taking some pictures.

If Issy wants candid shots, I think she should get a Leica or a Contax G2, a fast street machine, or use her digital. Crown and Speed Graphics are heavy cameras.

I think Issy is interested in taking portraits, where she has more control over the composition of the scene.

Perhaps this quote from Judith Joy Ross describes will help:

"With a view camera we are doing something together. Definitely together. I am fumbling around under a cloth over the camera and myself and the person is arranging themself. We work together."

From: http://www.ahornmagazine.com/issue_8...view_ross.html