Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Durst Laborator L138 S

Re: Durst Laborator L138 S

Here are a few pictures of my cobbled together blower solution. Nothing fancy, and I'm ashamed of how cruddy the woodwork is on this (my shop was unusable when I built this, so I just used some scrap plywood I had laying around). I turn it on and off with a foot switch power switch from Harbor Freight. I think about $100 to $120 in parts.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130712-222521.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	98692Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130712-222419.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	98691Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130712-222345.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	113.7 KB 
ID:	98690

Also, I just wrote up something about the variable contrast light source and the point light source I build so I could use the condensers for the Durst 138S. http://www.trippingthroughthedark.co...8s-condensers/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lapla 72mm 8706e.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	98698Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mail Attachment.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	98699

They are great enlargers. You will come to love it.

Is your rig setup as a single turret that is not removeable or can you take the turret out and put in a single plate to use a unipla?
    If you want to run a 210mm in the unit with a fixed turret, you need to start looking for a 72mm unipla. They are not that common and be expensive, if you take your rime, you can find a deal on one.

You may want to start collecting filter drawers when you can too, and set filters in so you don't have to go with below the lens filters.

The original bulbs can be pricey, but there are some good alternatives.
    In Mogel thread, 300 watt lamps for 10 dollars a pop. Some G40 bulbs at 200 watts are good too if you can print with a 200 watt bulb (I use a 200 watt bulb most often, I keep a 300 and 500 at hand in case, but almost always use the 200).

People ask insane prices for some of the condensers on the Evil, but they are a dime a dozen and if you take your time, you will collect all the sizes you need.
    The Nega138 is a really nice negative carrier. Focal Point still makes glass for it if you need new glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen in Montreal View Post
    If you want to run a 210mm in the unit with a fixed turret, you need to start looking for a 72mm unipla. They are not that common and be expensive, if you take your rime, you can find a deal on one.
    I use a 210mm EL Nikkor on mine. I had SK Grimes make lens plate that's cut to screw into the 67mm filter threads on this lens. Cost was $90. I also have a 180mm componon s that came with a custom plate. The 210mm is more even with the condensers, but needs much more extension for the same size print.

so 500 wt needs a fan and maybe 300
    Not sure what the bulb is in the enlarger but since the extra is 500 I can only assume
    Is there a way to tell the wattage by size or something? marked on the base or something? doubt its on the top of bulb

The housing gets pretty damn hot after a 1:30 of focusing

what are the detriments of going fanless

negative warpage even under the glass after taking the neg back out for storage?
    bulb life expectancy decreases
    heat absorbing glass cant handle it

what exactly

I'll cludge something or keep on eye on ebay but it's not on the front burner

no idea about the turret
    it's a 3 lens turret
    removable? no idea. i'm thinking not

Quote Originally Posted by sun of sand View Post
    no idea about the turret
    it's a 3 lens turret
    removable? no idea. i'm thinking not
    Some models have a turret that can be removed by releasing a screw that is right front and center, and the entire unit comes out and a single lens can be used rather than the turret. Others have a 3 lens turret that is mounted permanently (without modifications). Mine is one of these types, I am fine with the turret.

Larry mentioned a 210mm El Nikkor with a 67mm thread, that would a really good find, 67mm lens boards are very common.
    My El is a 72mm and the Lapla 72mm are not so common.
    Scour ebay.de for parts.

I am currently using the 200 watt bulb on the left in this picture, the Atlas standard bulb is on the right.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails G40 vs Durst 138 1x.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by sun of sand View Post
    so 500 wt needs a fan and maybe 300
    Not sure what the bulb is in the enlarger but since the extra is 500 I can only assume
    Is there a way to tell the wattage by size or something? marked on the base or something? doubt its on the top of bulb

The housing gets pretty damn hot after a 1:30 of focusing

what are the detriments of going fanless

negative warpage even under the glass after taking the neg back out for storage?
    bulb life expectancy decreases
    heat absorbing glass cant handle it

what exactly

I'll cludge something or keep on eye on ebay but it's not on the front burner
    I don't know what will happen if you don't ventilate the 500watt bulb. Something will overheat, but I doubt it will be the negative if you use the heat absorbing glass. It's also possibly a fire hazard. Given a new original bulb will generally sell for $100 it's probably a good idea to not overheat them. I also run my bulbs with a variac set between 80 and 100volts. I found each 10V drop cuts the light by half a stop. Based on some other info I found even a few volts lower than 115 will make the bulb last much longer (and run a bit cooler).

Get a watt meter, I use this one on everything new that uses wall power, I like this one since it is remote reading, but there are cheaper ones.

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F7C005-...kin+watt+meter

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gebhardt View Post
    I don't know what will happen if you don't ventilate the 500watt bulb. Something will overheat, but I doubt it will be the negative if you use the heat absorbing glass. It's also possibly a fire hazard. Given a new original bulb will generally sell for $100 it's probably a good idea to not overheat them. I also run my bulbs with a variac set between 80 and 100volts. I found each 10V drop cuts the light by half a stop. Based on some other info I found even a few volts lower than 115 will make the bulb last much longer (and run a bit cooler).
    Tin Can