Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kayak/Canoe recommendations

Re: Kayak/Canoe recommendations

A Sevylor inflatable with a skeg is also fine for short distances and fooling around. Cheap, compact and light weight.

Or perhaps a solar powered boat: http://solarboatchronicles.com/

Jon
    Last edited by Jon Shiu; 9-Jul-2013 at 18:17.
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

LOL

A boat is a classic escape fantasy for a married man.

I fantasize a lot, I even think I am a photographer... LOL

Twice divorced and staying that way!

Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    We used to call two "man" canoes and kayaks divorce boats.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    Pay attention to the REI consumer reviews for that one. I'm not a flatwater boater, more this, but the Oru Kayak, a 21st century Folboat, looks pretty sweet. The Aires are more robust and have been paddled on Class V-ish water, assuming one has the WW experience to go there. Perhaps searching CL for them or an old Sevylor might be your best bet. Then learn and practice proper boating safety, for any kind of water.

Canoes are a different kettle of fish (and that may be there best use), but you know what they say: Twice the paddle, half the man. Guilty as charged!
    I've built a lot of stuff out of coroplex, why didn't I think of an origami kayak? That thing is awesome.

Built this a long time ago from these plans, http://www.gaboats.com/boats/whitehalljr.html

I am never going to finish it, I like it hanging over my computer stand. I'm done with boats.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	das boat.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	98482
    Tin Can

Scott Davis

I'm thinking of something I can use to transport myself, my gear, and sometimes a model, into and around flat bodies of water (the non-whitewater segments of the Potomac River, nearby lakes, etc). I only have a Honda Accord, and no room to park a second vehicle that could transport/store a rigid canoe/kayak (and I sure as shit don't have room in the house for a full-size rigid boat). I'm not going to be going camping with this. I want to test the waters, so to speak, with something basic and CHEAP. If I like the activity and find I need something more robust/spacious/whatever, then I'll look into something like a full-size canoe.

Kleppers are slick, but pricey. I have a 17' Grumman aluminum canoe I got for $200 at a Sear Surplus store---not slick, but very affordable. What will work best really depends on the kind of waterways you want to explore.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

A used fiberglass canoe would be perfect. I have a 16 foot two person canoe that is pretty easy to paddle by myself, especially with no wind or current (just sit backwards on the front seat). I have carried it on the roof a Prius for 500 miles using foam blocks and straps, so I'm sure your Accord would work fine. Space to store it is probably the biggest deal. If you get one with aluminum trim they don't need to be covered, so it's easy to store in most backyards. I see decent canoes on Craigslist for $300 to $400 all the time around NH. The good news is you can sell it for what you paid if you buy used and look for a good deal.

I also have some kayaks, but they are terrible for photography. Everything tends to get wetter in the kayaks, and the cargo capacity is better in a canoe. Kayaks aren't very steady as a shooting platform. In the canoe I can setup a tripod and use a DSLR for nature shots. Never tried LF from it.

I agree with the advice to rent if money is the main issue. If you have plenty of money, check out a Savage River solo canoe.

I have a Souris River Quetico 17 canoe which is great for 2 people in lake areas like Quetico, but not in rocky areas where you plan to beat the hell out of the canoe. For that, Royalex is better than kevlar/carbon.

I also have a Gheenoe which is a little bit of magic. It is just 16 feet, smaller than my tandem canoe, but takes a 25 HP 4-stroke motor, goes >25 mph, and I can pull myself up over the side without affecting the vessel. It is a lot of fun but not cheap.

That's about what I want, a motor canoe.

A Gheenoe sounds perfect for the Chicago rivers I want to get on.

Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    I agree with the advice to rent if money is the main issue. If you have plenty of money, check out a Savage River solo canoe.

I have a Souris River Quetico 17 canoe which is great for 2 people in lake areas like Quetico, but not in rocky areas where you plan to beat the hell out of the canoe. For that, Royalex is better than kevlar/carbon.

I also have a Gheenoe which is a little bit of magic. It is just 16 feet, smaller than my tandem canoe, but takes a 25 HP 4-stroke motor, goes >25 mph, and I can pull myself up over the side without affecting the vessel. It is a lot of fun but not cheap.
    Tin Can

Alpacka packraft. Weighs less than your camera, packs down to fit into a backpack with all your other stuff, easy to paddle, stable and huge cargo capacity. Not only will it easily fit into your car you don't even need a car. Look at the Explorer model if you are into rowing instead of paddling like a kayak.

That boat you posted weighs 22 lbs and is only rated for calm, flat water. An Alpacka weighs 1/4 of that and will handle everything you can throw at it. They do cost more though.

Packrafting the upper Wheaton River by Anthony DeLorenzo, on Flickr

Rigged out by Anthony DeLorenzo, on Flickr