Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Great LF book, 'Graphic Graflex Photography' "The Master Book for the Larger Camera"

Re: Great LF book, 'Graphic Graflex Photography' "The Master Book for the Larger Came

John,

Thanks for the recommendations. I picked up the first book as a 4th edition, $15 delivered, big book!

The second is available from Internet Archive, I got it for free as a Kindle reader. I always like that.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Since you're looking, look for Photographic Principles and Practices by Neblette, and Photographic Facts and Formulas by Wall & Jordan ---I think they make nice compliments to Graphic Graflex Photography
    Tin Can

Re: Great LF book, 'Graphic Graflex Photography' "The Master Book for the Larger Came

Another secret gem of a book I've found is the Photographer's Mate 3 & 2 Rate Training Manual. I picked it up as a lark and was surprised it's so full of useful information and so well-written. It's also interesting to learn about the analog photography systems used in the Navy (circa 1972) including a lot if great information on aerial photography.

1972! Why that was only yesterday, what did we know in 1972?

I was a know it all 21 year old.

Actually sounds good, but now I need some more bulk chems and stacks of X-Ray film.

I try to keep this stuff to a budget. lol

Quote Originally Posted by BarryS View Post
    Another secret gem of a book I've found is the Photographer's Mate 3 & 2 Rate Training Manual. I picked up as a lark and was surprised it's so full of useful information and so well-written. It's also interesting to learn about the analog photography systems used in the Navy (circa 1972) including a lot if great information on aerial photography.
    Tin Can

Seems a little rare in better condition. I put a watch on it. I'm sure my 1940's books could use a 1972 update.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryS View Post
    Another secret gem of a book I've found is the Photographer's Mate 3 & 2 Rate Training Manual. I picked up as a lark and was surprised it's so full of useful information and so well-written. It's also interesting to learn about the analog photography systems used in the Navy (circa 1972) including a lot if great information on aerial photography.
    Tin Can

I agree that this is a fantastic resource. Another good one is The Encyclopedia of Photography. This was a subscription-based publication from around WWII that came out once a month until it was done. Each issue is filled with fascinating articles (and as an encyclopedia, they were done alphabetically). I have the complete set, bound in library covers, five issues to a cover and I generally have at least one collection pulled out of my bookcase and next to my bed for evening reading. The gravures are of outstanding quality, considering the age.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Graphic Graflex Photography through the 7th edition covers the Anniversary model Speed Graphic. The 8th through 10th editions also cover the side rangefinder Pacemaker series. The 11h edition covers the top rangefinder Pacemaker series and early Super Graphic, but is only 256 pages long. The 4th edition has the advantage of articles by Bernice Abbott, Ansel Adams, Barbara Morgan, and Rudolph Kingslake among others. One by one, articles by these iconic experts were dropped from subsequent editions.

A worn copy of Rudolph Kingslake's Lenses in Photography, purchased new in 1952, is still at hand near my computer. It is basic and much outdated, but practical. A tattered 1942 copy of the more thorough Neblette's Photography: Its Principled and Practice later supplemented Kingslake.

There are other as well. Look up Large Format Photography from Grossbild (English version probably)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    You want the last and best, the eleventh.
    Trying to locate the 11th edition but to no avail - unless the 11th edition is not called "Graphic Graflex photography; the master book for the larger camera" anymore but "Graphic Graflex photography for prize winning pictures" (of which there do not seem to exist earlier editions).

Or has anyone by chance taken it upon himself to create an OCRed eBook version of this jewel (11th edition, of course)?

Quote Originally Posted by BerndR View Post
    Trying to locate the 11th edition but to no avail - unless the 11th edition is not called "Graphic Graflex photography; the master book for the larger camera" anymore but "Graphic Graflex photography for prize winning pictures" (of which there do not seem to exist earlier editions).

Or has anyone by chance taken it upon himself to create an OCRed eBook version of this jewel (11th edition, of course)?
    Search Abes, Amazon and Internet Archive. I'm happy with my 4th, it has plenty of valuable info. The ads are really cool.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by BerndR View Post

The 11th edition (1958) is indeed subtitled, "For Prize Winning Pictures." The author is Willard D. Morgan plus 16 contributors who were almost all unfamiliar to me. The updated information is nice, but the early editions cover the older equipment and technique more thoroughly.